18

The next day, Nathan had training. He went and was the furthest thing from focused. He was messing up and it was making him more upset than he was. All he could think about was Alex. He needed her but she wanted nothing to do with him. He finished training and went to mope in the change room for a bit. It wasn't moping as much as actual hatred for himself. He decided it was time to shower.

Alex was in no better of shape. She had cried herself to sleep, following it with a blubbering group call with the girls. She fell asleep and woke up to all of them around her room. Melissa and Bridgette were cuddling her. She sighed as she laid between them. Everyone had woken up hours ago but no one was moving. All of the girls felt for Alex. She was hurting and they were hurting for her.

Dana decided to make a phone call to Nathan. He didn't answer the first six times, but she continued. He finally picked up after at least twenty calls. Dana walked out of Alex's room and locked herself in the bathroom. Nathan waited for her to speak.

"Why?" Was all she said.

"I'm so fucking stupid." He broke down. Dana swore he was crying. "I can't do anything right, Dana. I just want Alex but she hates me."

"She doesn't hate you. She's just so hurt, Nathan." Dana sighed.

"I don't know what to do!" He cried.

"I don't know what to tell you. You did this to yourself." She stated.

"I know." He breathed out. "Could you talk to her?"

"And say what?" She laughed.

"That I'm sorry?" He suggested.

"I'll see what I can do." She said before she hung up.

Nathan drove to Alex's. He sat out front in his car for a bit. He took a deep breath as he stepped out of it. He looked at her bedroom window, the curtains drawn. He exhaled as he closed the door. He opened his back door. The box of things Alex brought to him sat there. He lifted them up, hoisting it under one arm. He closed the door with his free arm before he made his way to her front door. He set it down and rang the door bell. He jogged back to his car and drove down the street.

He made sure he was out of sight but could still see her. The door opened. She stepped onto the porch, looking down at the box. She looked up in confusion and looked around. She shook her head as she bent down to pick it up. A smile spread across her face when she read the note resting on top. It only said 'sorry' with a sad face. She turned and walked inside.

The girls all turned to her as she walked in. She held up the note to them with a frown. Melissa rolled her eyes and walked over. She took the note, crumpling it. Alex rolled her eyes in return, walking to the stairs. She climbed up them and into her room. She looked around at how empty it was getting. She was slowly moving her things to Denver for school. Ironic that she was going the same place Nathan was, but her heart was always set on that school.

She sat the box on her bed to go through it. She folded the shirts of his and packed them in her suitcase. They were nice to sleep in. She hung up the Moosehead jerseys in her closet. She wouldn't be bringing those. She furrowed her brows at the bottom of the box. It was an Avalanche logo. She lifted it up. It was a jersey. He had put one of his new jerseys in the box.

She shook her head. She walked to her closet but stopped beside her suitcase. She was going to live in Colorado. She decided to bring it. She was sure plenty of other people had MacKinnon jerseys in Denver. There was a knock before Dana poked her head in. Alex smiled as she walked back to the box. She paused when she saw it wasn't empty. The long, black, velvet box was sitting there. Dana came over and looked.