Chapter Four | Nick

Start from the beginning

"I can think of a million ways I would rather start my day and this conversation isn't it. What do you want?"

She doesn't respond right away, but after a moment I hear her sultry voice. "I want you."

And despite the fact that we're on two different pages on what we want out of this relationship, blood still rushes to my groan, much to my dismay.

We were great together in bed.

That was never the issue.

But starting things back up with Josslyn would only make things messy. I don't care if I haven't been laid in a while.

"Is that what this call is all about?" I push off the headboard and rearrange the pillows behind me. "What, you had a fight with your husband and now you want to use me to forget about him?"

"It wouldn't be the first time." Joss shoots back. "Come on. I know you remember how good we are together."

"I remember."

"So, you're not seeing anyone are you?" Josslyn asks.

"No." I answer, honestly.

"So come over here and fuck me." Josslyn says.

"I have a family thing." I tell her and hang up before I can let myself think about it more or worse, consider.

I swing my legs off the bed and place my phone on top of the nightstand near my bed and make my way into the bathroom. After a quick shower and brushing my teeth, I return to my room with a towel wrapped around my waist.

My phone rings again.

I reach for it off the table, seeing it's Ryan's name on the screen

"It's raining."

"No shit sherlock." I chuckle, pressing the phone between my ear and shoulder so I can pull up some boxers and jeans.

"You better not use that as an excuse not to show up this morning." Ryan scolds me.

"I'm getting dressed as we speak." I told him.

"I'm serious Nick. If your ass isn't here in half an hour I will come over there and bring you myself." He warns me.

"Sheesh. I miss one family brunch and you're ready to have my head." I pull the phone away from my ear, press the speaker icon and set my phone back on the nightstand before strolling over to my closet for a shirt.

"You're not the one who has to deal with an upset Caitlin for the rest of the day." Ryan reminds me.

"Tell my dear baby sister that I look forward to seeing her for breakfast this morning." I say just before I pick up the phone again. "Oh, and tell that beautiful niece of mine that I can't wait to see her either."

"See you soon man. Thirty minutes." Ryan chirps before he ends the call. I latch my watch onto my wrist and shove my cell phone in my pocket before heading out the house.

I drive to my sister's house, taking the same roads as I usually do, the rain forcing me to drive slower than usual. I sneak a look to my right, seeing the bus stop I must've passed a least a million times, but this time something is different. I draw nearer, seeing about four people huddled together waiting for the bus and only one of them sits on the bench, seemingly unbothered by the fact that they're getting soaked by the rain. I peer through the window and I'm startled to recognize the person is Talia. She sits with her hands in her lap and a gray hoodie pulled low over her head.

Without thinking I park the car and roll down the windows. "Get in the car Talia."

She looks at me as if she's not sure she's seeing me correctly. "Mr. Cross?"