Chapter 1: Break All Over Again

ابدأ من البداية

"I know what you are," she responded.

Klaus pulled out a chair and sat down. Rudy, his loyal comrade, sat on the ground beside him.

The witch continued. "Half-vampire. Half-beast. You're the hybrid."

"I'm the original hybrid, actually." He corrected. "But, that's a long story for another time."

He looked at the table set-up. There was a pretty tapestry that hung from above. Fancy beaded necklaces, chalices, cards, a glass ball, and containers with hand-painted designs all sat upon the surface of the table.

"It's a nice set up you have here. I'm sure the tourists love it. It'd be a shame if anything were to happen to it." His eyes flickered back to hers. "I'm looking for some people--witches to be precise. Perhaps you might be able to help me find some?"

"I'm not telling you anything," the woman with tight dark curls responded.

He didn't seem pleased by her words. "Now, you see, I know you're a true witch amongst this sea of poseurs. So enough with the fabrications." He spoke. "I've quite a temper."

The witch's face hardened as her eyes grew colder.

"Now I was informed witches here are making a move against me. Would you happen to know anything about that?"

She kept her chin up, refusing to give in. "I'm not telling you anything. Try your luck elsewhere."

His jaw clenched. He leaned forward across the table. "You don't want to see me when I'm angry. Tell me where I can find more of your little witch friends."

"If you want to learn about the location of my people, maybe you should take that up with the man in charge." Not once did her confidence falter. She held eye contact with him easily. "Things have changed since you left New Orleans. You're no longer the King here."

He scoffed. "And who exactly claims that title now?"

One word. That was all it took to overwhlem him with an avalanche of feelings and memories. That was all it took to break the hybrid all over again.

"Marcel."

Confusion, hurt, hope, anger, and so many other emotions spread within him. And all of it stemmed from hearing that single name. Marcellus.

The hybird was pulled into a flashback.

1821, New Orleans:

Klaus walked into a room where there were several massacred bodies covering the ground.

Kol, Elijah, Marcel and himself were the only ones standing.

"What are you doing?" Elijah demanded.

Kol defended his actions. "If the lad is going to be a vampire, he's going to have to learn how to take a life. I'm showing him the process."

"Is there no limit to your vile imagination?" Elijah questioned in disgust.

His brother shook his head. "I've already fed him my blood. All we have to do is snuff him. Then he can be a vampire and remain with us forever."

Elijah narrowed his eyes. "He's too young, Kol. Leave him be."

"Is this not what we want? What if he gets hurt? Turning him into a vampire is the only way to protect him." Kol defended his actions.