we're over.

( Clover Hemmings,
October 1st, 2022. )

The amount of stress I was going through was through the roofs of Luke's nice, new home.

I couldn't believe I was sitting across from my mom in my brother's house across his kitchen island with my brother Luke's hand placed on my shoulder.

"I know you're going to fight me on this, Clover." My mom said, "And I know you might not want this."

I bounced my leg and tapped my fingers against the marble counter. Luke took notice of my anxiety and squeezed my shoulder— which was nice, but didn't help.

"I don't think you should come home to Sydney."

I froze my body movements and let go of my lip. What?

"W-What?" I whispered. "But, my things. I-I hardly know Los Angeles, I won't—"

"You'll be away from Gavin." My mom interrupted me. "I don't want him to see you."

"No," My lips quivered and I looked at Luke and back at my mom. "I can't leave home. I promise I won't see Gavin, please, I won't feel comfortable."

"Clover," My mom said. "Calm down a moment."

Luke set down a glass of water next to me and I drank a little bit of it as she continued to explain.

"Going home is not the right thing for you. Being here with your brother, who has helped immensely, and being in an area that douchebag isn't, is going to help your process so much more." I noticed my mom begin to tear up, which made me feel like an asshole.

I slowly began bouncing my leg again and I exhaled. "Can we compromise?"

I didn't want to stay in Los Angeles and that was final. I wanted to be home in Sydney where I could be peaceful with my bed, my parents, and my friends. I didn't care if I was with Gavin.

It was going to be hard to break up with him.

"Sure." She nodded.

"You, me, Luke and Sierra fly home." I explained. "We stay a week," I say. "If I am showing signs of, you know, going insane from being in the same environment— I pack up and we come back."

Luke nodded. "Not a bad idea, Clo."

I exhaled a breath of relief and nodded.

"I like that idea." My mom said, "Is that okay with you, Luke?"

Luke nodded firmly again. "Calum, Ashton and Michael would want to come. They haven't seen their parents, you know?"

My mom opened her arms and I instantly moved into them. She wrapped her arms around me tightly, making sure not to let me go, and holding me. I felt nervous and scared in my mom's arms, as I was about to break up with Gavin.

I couldn't hold out.

When my mom and I stopped hugging, I went into Luke's guest-room and sat down on the desk he had. I looked at Gavin's contact and slowly pressed call.

It was shitty of me to do it over call.

"Clover?" Gavin's voice rang through the phone. "Fucking finally."

I shakingly inhaled. "We need to talk."

"What?" He said harshly. "Don't think about breaking up with me, Clover. I will ruin your life."

I blinked a few times and felt tears come into my eyes. "Luke and my parents have found out about you abusing me." I said, "And I can't be with you anymore. I don't want to. You can ruin my life all you want in Sydney, but I won't be there. Please don't contact me again or else I-I-" I froze, feeling myself choke.

"I-"

"I will get a restraining order." I said.

"Clover. You're not thinking straight. You're nothing without me. If you break this off, it's over. We won't speak again. Do you understand me?" Gavin spat.

"I understand you. Goodbye, Gavin."

I took the phone away from my ear and hit hang up. And I instantly burst into tears.