Chapter Eight

Just as Tamara is about to leave the station for the day, her office phone begins to ring. "Detective Lewis," she answers. "I see you have an interest in finding me detective," a distorted voice says on the other end of the line. Tamara's breath hitches and her heart pounds. Just as she is about to answer, Bryce walks in. He immediately senses her anxiousness and gives her an enquiring expression. As she begins to write a note on a piece of paper, the person on the phone states, "I would suggest not completing that note." Tamara straightens her stance immediately and turns to look out of her office windows. As her eyes scan the windows of the buildings nearby, she asks in a slightly irritated tone, "What kind of game of death are you trying to play?" The person's tone becomes more serious, and they reply, "Death is not a game detective. It's an end which one cannot determine." "Seems like you've been determining a lot of people's deaths," Tamara snaps back. The person laughs half-heartedly, before responding, "I only said that the person cannot determine when their death will be. I never said that no one else knew or could decide it." By this time, Bryce has gotten a team to track where the phone call is coming from. "I'll be watching you detective," the person states before cutting the call. Tamara grunts in frustration, and turns to face Bryce and the team. "The IMSI shows that the call was placed from a burner phone within a one-mile radius of here," one of the team members states as she continues to type away at her laptop. Tamara takes a deep breath as she picks up her bag and heads out of her office. "Where are you going?" Bryce asks. "Home. It's been a long day, and I want to be prepared to have to see Ms. Barlowe again tomorrow," Tamara answers. Bryce nods and states, "I'll drive you." "No," Tamara says sternly. "I wasn't suggesting Lewis," Bryce replies with just as much conviction.

"Will those two ever stop fighting?", one of the team members asks once Tamara and Bryce finally leave the station. The others laugh, and James replies, "Come on Sally. We all know that those two have not gotten along since their breakup. To be honest, I'm not sure if they even got along when they were dating." "What do you think makes two people like that date one another?", Sally asks. "Probably because no one else would date them," one of the other members says. Sally scoffs and states, "Now Tom, that's a bit harsh." James and Sally look at each other before bursting out laughing. The sound of the door closing causes the laughing to cease. "May I help any of you?", Alyce asks. James replies, "You must be Detective Lewis' understudy." Alyce nods her head and hums in response. Tom just stands there paying little mind to her. James walks up and says, "Sorry if we are in your way Miss..." "Alyce. You can just call me Alyce," she finishes for him. He continues, "Alyce. We were just wrapping up. My name is James by the way." Alyce smiles and acknowledges his statement with another nod. "All done guys," Sally states as she closes her laptop and stands up from the chair. She walks up to the group and introduces herself to Alyce as well. As the three of them begin to leave the office, Alyce suddenly asks, "Do any of you know where Miss Lewis is?"

The car parks in a slot at Tamara's apartment complex parking lot. "See you tomorrow," Tamara says hurriedly, before stepping out of the car. Bryce also exits the car and catches up with Tamara. She stops short when she realizes her is following her. "I agreed to you driving me back home; however, I do not agree to you escorting me to my apartment," she states. Bryce sighs and looks off into the distance. "Whether you like it or not Lewis, I am going to make sure that you make it safely to your apartment," he says firmly. Her eyes glare into his as she thinks deeply on what to say to him. Eventually, she gives up and just continues to stomp towards the complex entrance. Once she reaches the door to her apartment, Tamara swiftly turns back towards Bryce. "There! I'm safely at my apartment. Goodbye Detective Gates," she tells him. Despite her words, he does not budge. "What now?" she asks with frustration clearly laced in her tone. "I have to make sure no one is in your apartment," he replies plainly. Tamara mouths gapes open and she scoffs harshly. "For the love of Jesus," she grumbles, as she unlocks the door to her apartment. Once it is unlocked, she swings open the door and outstretches an arm towards the inside. Bryce walks passed her and into the apartment. It's not a big space, yet it is very cozy and quaint. As Bryce is about to continue walking, Tamara says, "Please take off your shoes and put a pair of slippers." A little laugh escapes Bryce's mouth, as he bends down to take off his shoes. As soon as he has the slippers on, he resumes walking down the foyer. At the end, he enters into an open space where both the kitchen and living area can be seen. He then makes his way towards another small hallway that leads to the guest bedroom, guest bathroom, and laundry room. After thoroughly inspecting each of these rooms, he renters the main living area. Then, he walks down the hallway opposite the one he just exited. This one leads to the main bedroom and bathroom. Again, he looks under the bed, in the closets, and behind the shower curtains. Once he is sure that there is no one else in the apartment, he walks back to where Tamara is still standing at the end of the foyer. "Have finished securing the area?" she asks him sarcastically. He ignores her question and walks down the hallway. Carefully, he places the slippers back onto the shoe rack with the others and puts back on his shoes. "See you tomorrow morning Lewis," he states simply, before exiting the apartment. Tamara exhales deeply, as she automated doorknob locks the door and the motion, sensor light in the hallway shuts off.