The hollow

As I opened my eyes all I could see was pavement and glass. After a minute I was aware of a dull ache pulsing throughout my head and the lack of sound all around me. As I looked around, wondering where I was I noticed slow shuffling feet headed in my direction. Then it all came back to me, the outbreak, the fall, the crash,....

"an you hear me?!"I looked over and noticed Char leaning over me with a large cut down her arm and blood down the side of her face. As the sounds of the city came back to me they were not the sounds I know. They were the sounds of terror and panic, of chaos and destruction that I never wanted to hear ever again. I tried to move and pain shot through my side. I looked down and felt the color drain from my face. I had a piece of metal sticking out of the middle of my thigh and an impressively large pool of blood that was steadily growing in size.I looked helplessly at Char as she tried to lift up the piece of metal that had me pinned down as the infected started to take notice of the wreck. I looked around for something, anything to help and the noticed Sinderton get up form the other side of the car. He was relatively unharmed minus blood on his shoulder from a small looking cut. He came over to where I was and grabbed the piece of metal and grunted with the effort as the weight pinning me down gradually lessened. I wriggled out from under the wreckage and Sinderton dropped it with a sigh of relief. I hissed in pain from exerting my leg. I wrapped my hands around the underside of my leg. Relief flooded me for a moment, it did not come out the other side. Which means that there is a good chance that it did not shatter my femur. He leaned down and looked at my leg and started to mumble to himself. He looked up at me.

"I'm going to have to pull it out so it doesn't get infected, OK? On the count of three." I braced myself and waited for him to start counting. And I nodded.

"OK." He positioned himself and nodded.

"Ready? One..." With a sharp jerk he pulled out the shrapnel and quickly wrapped something around it to staunch the bleeding. I screamed out in pain with the unexpected jerk. As the worst pain that I had ever felt flooded my system. My vision swam and I started to get woozy as the threat of blacking out started to build. But that was quickly dealt with as Sinderton swiftly slapped me. As he picked me up I noticed Mom was checking one of the men in black suits.

"This ones dead too." She looked at Sinderton grimly and walked over to us. "How bad is it?" she asked him as everything I heard started to get muffled and my vision swam again.

"He has a large puncture in the center of his thigh. I have it wrapped but if it doesn't get medical help soon I fear that the situation may turn unfavorable." She grimaced and looked at me she was saying something but I couldn't hear her. I could tell by her voice that she was trying to comfort me as she looked at SInderton and Char. I noticed that the slow shuffling people had gotten a whole lot closer and some in the back were starting to run. I guess I wasn't the only one to notice because Mom grabbed Char's arm and Sinderton held onto me a little tighter as they all started running. I didn't know where we were going but every step Sinderton took sent a wave of nausea through me. As we reached a large gate Mom waved something in front of the security monitor and the gate slid open. As we stepped into the fenced in area I looked back as the once slow and shuffling mob that was now a screaming hoard of desperate monsters that had a hungry look to them, they looked hollow.