Infection

"I don't care what he says he is not getting custody of either of the kids! I will get the best lawyer in the world if I have to!" Mom screams at the phone. After a minute she starts yelling again and I go into the kitchen of our hotel suit to find my sister sitting at the table staring out the window.

"Char? Are you OK?" she jumps back in surprise and smiles at me, which is always comforting for some reason.

"yea I'm just worried about that flu that has been going around, I do not want to get sick before final exams and mom and dads divorce is not helping." She looks over at the TV as the news report on the new strain of flu that has suddenly started sweeping the globe.

"Oh, why do you watch this? it just makes you worried and that wont help anything.." I look at her sheepishly because now I"m afraid that I have upset her but she just laughs.

"I guess you have a point there, but I also have to watch it for a current event. I wish my school was as easy as yours, all you have to do is paint and draw." She looks at the sketch pad that I bought her for her birthday and sighs.

" You could do it you know, you are so much better than me anyway and you wouldn't have to worry about money.." I have made this argument before but it always ends the same.

"you know that I can't do that and besides who will support you as you climb the ranks of the art world?" she smiles at me and then pulls something out of her pocket and hands it to me. "Here it's a birthday present I know it's not much but I hope you like it. I open it and smile it is a neclace with a small ring hanging from it. As I look closer I notice that the ring has the words In life we will always have each other engraved in it.

"Charity you didn't have to do this.." she waves this off and smiles.

"Yes I did, we have to look out for each other right?" she smiles at the realization that I love it beyond words. "Now you should go check on Mom, and see it Sinderton is back, he owes me a game of chess." I smile and go back into the main room to see mom throwing her phone on the couch and set down with a huff.

"Mom are you alright?" she looks up and brushes her black hair out of her face. I notice how much Charity and I look like her. With our high cheek bones and light completion making us stand out in a crowd which is why it is so hard to hide who we are.

"Yeah baby I'm fine, I'm just stressed. Come sit with me." she says as she scoots over on the couch. As she wraps her arms around me I can feel how upset this has made her.

"You know I love you don't you Max?" I look at her confused of course I do, why do you ask?" I looked at her as saw the deep embedded sadness that we all have because of Dad.

"I just wanted to make sure sweetheart. Thank you for checking up on me but it's about time for bed, even if you two are sixteen you still have to go to bed on time." She smiles  knowing that we wern't going to argue anyway. So I head off towards the kitchen but then a thought hits me.

"Has Sinderton came back yet?" Mom looks at me with a face of confusion which for some reason worries me.

"No I asked him to get something from the limousine why?" I looked at her with a look of nervousness.

"I don't know but I just have a bad feeling." I walked  back towards the kitchen to find Charity but as I got to the door she comes running out with a wild look."What? What's wrong?"

"The next town over has been shut down! They are under quarantine!" She looks genuinely panicked.

"What are you talking about Char?" She looks scared. But eventually I managed to calm her down with soothing words and we finally went to bed.

THUMP, CRASH

"Madame! Madame where are you?" I opened my eyes and looked at the clock. Six'o'clock in the morning why are people yelling?

I walked into the living room of our suit. "Whats going on?" I asked blearily. But as I looked around I noticed the general panic on everyone. "What? What's going on?" I looked at Sinderton as he tried frantically to collect our things.

"Sinderton what on earth are you doing?" Mom asked angrily at the fact that she was woken up at six in the morning.

"We have to pack up quickly the whole city is being put in lock down! The government is evacuating all people of importance but not for long so we have to hurry!" Charity and I looked at him confused and sleep deprived.

"What are you talking about?" Mom asked with a hint of fear in her voice.

"The entire city has gone mad! People are attacking each other for no reason! The city is being shut down to contain the violence! Madame please I just saw a woman jump on a child a rip his thought out with her teeth!" I gasped mortified at what I've just herd. So I just started to pack as much as I could and after that we followed him out of the hotel room and into the chaos of the hall.