"Arabella!"

The girl winced and jumped back into her seat at the cries of surprise from both her older siblings as she prepared for the most embarrassing scolding she could receive in front of a guest. Of course, Layton was the first to speak his mind, through his disbelief, "...Arabella. Has it really been so long without your governess that you've forgotten common courtesy?"

"As much as I hate to agree, I believe you owe an apology to this young man..." Olivia's disapproving tone was accompanied by an equally disapproving glance.

Arabella clenched her teeth slightly, reminded immediately of the many times in the past she had been scolded like this. Worse was the reminder that she hadn't quite raised above her old self since it took biting her tongue not to snark back and cause an argument. Regardless, she sucked up her pride and muttered, "...Please forgive me for my impertinence..."

Alistair hadn't removed his gaze from her since her outburst, but gave a long contemplative look to the food on his plate, "There's nothing to forgive." As though it was second nature to him, he slowly picked up his cutlery and took a slow and hesitant bite of his food. "...You're right. It is good." And as though nothing had happened at all, he was suddenly back to his smiling self, sending a charming look Olivia's way. "My compliments to the chef." He then directed his courteous smile Layton's way. "I am impressed that you organised such an extravagant dinner on such short notice, Lord Lockhart."

Alistair's skill for controlling the atmosphere of the room didn't go unnoticed by Arabella. Olivia seemed to have finally perked up at the return of a conversation partner and even Layton seemed slightly chuffed at the compliment to his planning skills, taking a disgruntled sip of wine.

Olivia grinned back at him, "Your table manners are excellent for your age, Al. Who taught you?"

"My mother. She was very particular that even as a commoner I would be taught such manners." Alistair smiled back with an honest look of pride in his eyes. "She left me with that much, so I am grateful that you noticed."

Olivia seemed to catch on to his wording and her brows furrowed the slightest bit, "She 'left' you, with that much?"

"She passed around a week ago."

Arabella felt her movements freeze involuntarily at his words and she was not alone. Just like that, silence returned to the dining room tenfold.

Olivia's lips settled into a frown, brows furrowing even further, "...I apologise for bringing up the topic..." She paused in contemplation before raising a question. "Do you have anyone waiting for you at home?"

"I've been fending for myself quite well, since. So not necessarily."

Layton's hard gaze seemed to soften slightly, despite the firm frown cemented on his lips upon hearing this, "...There is an orphanage in town funded by the Lockharts. I can have you lodged there even on short notice-"

"With all due respect," Alistair's calm expression didn't seem to match his serious tone. "If I had any intention of going to the orphanage, I would have been there already."

Arabella eyed him carefully, a feeling of conflicted emotion brewing within her that she pushed down in the back of her mind. She had a sense she knew where he was going with this. Though, his methods of doing so did not bode well with her. Sucking down her feelings she spoke bluntly, "If you have nowhere to go... Then stay here for the time being."

Paying no mind to the shocked but conflicted expression on Olivia's face, Arabella let her stare linger on Alistair for a long while. From her tone, it was clear she was dead serious. Surprisingly, Layton himself seemed to sense that and hadn't settled into a firm objection just yet. Alistair met her stare head-on, confused by the conflicted light in Arabella's eyes. She wondered if he was lying. Perhaps he had heard about their father's recent passing and was making things up, knowing it would pull on their heartstrings with the similarities in their stories. Silently, she hoped that it wasn't the case, because undoubtedly it had worked as evidenced by how her heart clenched at his words.

Woes Of A Villainessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें