Chapter 9

It was pitch dark.

A glance at his wristwatch told Akaashi that it was two in the morning.

He straightened up the only cushion there was in the room so that the floor became halfway comfortable, then lay down on his back and looked at the ceiling.

He regretted leaving.

Images kept coming to his mind of tears leaking from Bokuto's eyes, and his lips tingled as he thought of his first kiss. He couldn't get rid of those thoughts, no matter how hard he tried.

Akaashi rubbed his eyes sleepily. It was three o'clock in the morning by now, and he understood that he probably wouldn't fall asleep again anyway.

As he thought about what he would do for four hours now, he heard a vibration.

Then once more.

Akaashi looked around - and a little further away, under a shelf, his mobile phone screen lit up.
He had completely forgotten that it had been in his pocket when his father had dragged him in here.

For once, his phone was still with half a full battery, but he was kind of disappointed when he saw that the messages were only from the class group, from classmates who also couldn't or wouldn't sleep.

Akaashi sighed when he opened the chat with Bokuto but found no new messages.
What had he expected? After all, Bokuto had opened up to him, kissed him, and confessed that he loved him, but he had just walked away.
He felt a stab in his chest as he thought of the moment.

Four times he tried to write something, but deleted it each time. The setter was about to give up when Bokuto came online.

Bokuto
...Kaashi?
             3:05

Akaashi stared at the screen for what felt like an eternity.

Bokuto
I'm sorry.
             3:06

He was afraid to write what he was thinking.

Bokuto
I can see that you are reading this,
please say something...
                          3:06

His eyes filled with tears.

Akaashi
What do you want to hear?
3:06

Bokuto
What do you mean?
             3:06

Akaashi
What I mean?
3:06

Bokuto
Kaashi...
             3:06

Akaashi
Bokuto...
3:06

It was quiet. Both in the small room, outside and in the chat.

And it was for several minutes.

Akaashi was almost startled when the words Incoming call appeared on his display. Trembling, he picked up, his eyes filled with tears as they often were.

A minute passed and no one said anything. Every so often Bokuto would sniffle, then something would rustle.

"Akaashi?" He sniffled again.