³⁰. 𝐵𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑜𝑛 𝐵𝑎𝑠𝑒

Start from the beginning

And it was the truth. (Y/N) hadn't proved to him that she couldn't be trusted ever since he met her, and the one person he didn't trust in the room was himself.

(Y/N) pressed her lips in a thin line before speaking up. "Thor, report on the Hulk."

"The gates of Hel are filled with the screams of his victims," Thor announced and clasped his hands together in a satisfied smirk, which washed away when he saw the glare directed his way and how Bruce sighed with his head in his hands. Thor instantly jumped to defend himself. "But not the screams of the dead, of course. No, no, wounded screams. Mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and gout."

"Hey, Banner," Tony called from the cockpit. "Dr. Cho is on her way in from Seoul. Is it okay if she sets up in your lab?"

Bruce turned back to respond. "Uh, yeah, she knows her way around."

(Y/N) stood up from where she was sitting to check on Clint once again. His eyes were closed but a coat of sweat lingered in his skin. Natasha was able to clean the wound, but because it was from a laser beam, it was burnt and saturated.

As she made her way over, rounding the cot so she could be up to Clint's eye level, she had forgotten about half of her surroundings. What (Y/N) didn't notice when she moved up was that Tony had removed himself from the cockpit at the exact same time, barely having time to react before she made her way over and bumped with him.

Embarrassed from her actions and the way her chest collided with his, she fumbled an apology. "Sorry."

"Don't worry about it, Vaughn."

(Y/N) tried moving to the right and forget what happened, but Tony did the exact same thing. When she attempted in moving to the left, he did too, and it went on like that for two movements more. She was sure everyone was eyeing them strangely because of how awkward the interaction looked, but Natasha was having the time of her life.

(Y/N) took a pause and moved right, this time without having Tony copy her actions. She was free to move onto her objective while he moved onto his. She joined Natasha by Clint's cot, and the latter was even more attentive than before. The sweat was still in his forehead, but his eyes were wide in alarm and amusement.

"That was probably the most awkward interaction I've ever witnessed," Clint said from his spot.

"Careful, Barton, or I'll make your injury 10 times worse."
───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

The quinjet arrived in its assigned pad at the highest point of the Avengers Tower in a matter of hours, broad daylight still shining through the skyscrapers and other buildings that New York City as filled in. At the doors that led to the inside of the tower, Maria Hill and Dr. Helen Cho were waiting on them.

Once the jet landed and the engine shut down, the rear hatch opened and (Y/N) assisted Natasha in accommodating Clint in another bed that would take him into the medical wing. Dr. Cho and three of her assistants rushed over to help them too and move Clint faster, muttering in Korean their solutions to healing him.

If (Y/N) knew better she would've watched at how Dr. Cho took Clint away and hear the debriefing Hill had ready for her and Steve, but she didn't. She stayed by her friend's side as they rolled him away inside the tower and saw the whole process.

They were in the lab, locked in a smaller room with windows all around it, and Clint was now laying against a harder surface, cot long forgotten. A machine was hovering over his wound, lasers whirling and moving around the area in order to heal the side that was damaged.

"Are you sure he's gonna be okay?" Natasha questioned out loud, standing up after she'd leaned down to see the machine. "Pretending to need this guy really brings the team together."

"There's no possibility of deterioration," Dr. Cho explained calmly. "The nano-molecular functionality is instantaneous. His cells don't know they're bonding with simulacra."

"She's creating tissue," Bruce resumed, and the excitement was recognizable in his tone.

"If you brought him to my lab, the Regeneration Cradle could do this in 20 minutes," Dr. Cho shrugged, a prideful glint in her eyes.

Tony entered the room with juice cups in hand. "Oh, he's flat-lining. Call it. Time?"

(Y/N) gave him a deadpanned glance and he raised his unoccupied hand in defense. Tony reached to grab one of the juices and gave it to her, who took it with hesitance and placed the straw in her mouth.

"No, no, no. I'm gonna live forever," Clint cut in with a laugh, slurring his words out. "I'm gonna be made of plastic."

"You'll be made of you, Mr. Barton," Dr. Cho gave him a reassuring smile. "Your own girlfriend won't be able to tell the difference."

"Well, I don't have a girlfriend."

"That I can't fix."

"This is the next thing, Tony," she continued, grabbing her tablet. "Your clunky metal suits are gonna be left in the dust."

(Y/N) leaned down to whisper in Natasha's ear.
"Oh, I like her."

"That is exactly the plan," Tony agreed, and Natasha thought it was time to leave the room, not before taking a sip from her drink. "And Helen, I expect to see you at the party on Saturday."

"Unlike you, I don't have a lot of time for parties," she retorted, earning a huff of a laugh from (Y/N), who was exiting the room.

"Will Thor be there?"

i removed the brutasha scene and made it the start for bruce and y/n's friendship because that part of the movie was weird, and anyone can agree

what would you like to see further in the book?

-see you soon, bex