ROMD Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Well, this was awkward. Sitting at the table with two people I hoped to never see for as long as I lived on Thanksgiving Day. Well, that's not something I was thankful for. Jamie gave me an apologetic look and I smiled like to say it wasn't her fault. It wasn't her fault my family was as disfuctional as the Kennedy's. Psh, the Kennedy's have nothing on the Dyson's.

     "So Gabriel," My mom started, although she refused to look at me directly. "How's school?" I shrugged as I felt all eyes turn to me.

     "I haven't flunked out." I said. Addison flinched at the jab I subtly directed at her. She glared at me before going back to her food. My mom coughed, uncomfortable.

     "How about you Jamie, doing well with your... uh philosophy class?" She asked. I smiled, everyone always had a hard time keeping up with Jamie's majors, She was actually taking psychology, but I didn't feel the need to correct my mother. My smile instantly dropped off as I felt someone looking at me. Jack to be particular. I turned to look at him, giving him the full force of my glare.

     "Fine, Ms. Jennifer." Jamie said uncomfortably pushing the food around her plate. She was always uncomfortable around my mom.

     "What about you Jack? Knock any one up lately?" I asked, with a faux pleasant smile on my face. I knew I was making this dinner as regretable as possible but they deserved it.  He winced. I caught my daddy's eye and it looked like he was fighting a smile. He hated Jack just about as much as I did. He hated anyone that caused his daughters pain. I grinned at him and he coughed to cover his laughter. The others, though, didn't think it was so funny. My mother and Addison gasped.

     "Gabriel!" Addison shrieked. I turned to face her.

     "Yes?" I was fakely pleasant.

     "What is your problem?" She asked between her teeth. I scoffed.

     "I'm not the one with the problem, dear sister. You can't stay with mom and dad forever, it seems like you're the one with no future. That's the problem." I pointed out bluntly and rolled my eyes. She continued to glare, then suddenly she smiled.

     "How's that rockstar boyfriend of yours?" She asked. I blinked. What the bleep was she getting at? Keeping my promise to Luke was getting harder with every passing minute. I smiled as that made me think about him. He made good on his promise to call me and he complained just at how hard it was for him without me.

    "Why you want him too?" I snapped irritibly. That shut her up.

     "Gabriel!" My mother bellowed. "You will not be so rude to your sister." I gave her an incredulous look.

    "Are you kidding me? I'm the one who gets yelled at?" I growled. " I don't bleeping need this! You can sit around and pretend like you're the perfect family, but the only good person in this goddamned family is Papà!" I stood up, Jamie followed, looking uncomfortable. "Even when you're never around I see you still found enough time to pick favorites. I can't stay here. I'll be at Sakura's, My real mother's."

     "Gabriel Alessia Dyson, don't you dare leave this table." She warned, which made me whirl on her. I gave her, Addison, and Jack steely glares.

     "You can't tell me what to do anymore! It's my life, mine! Not yours, not anyone's. " I growled fiercely. "And just so you know, after this semester I'm dropping law as my main major." And with that, I grabbed Jamie's hand and stalked out of the room.   

    "What!" I heard multiple voices shriek seconds after I closed the door. I smiled and looked at a stunned Jamie.

     "What?" I asked, she was staring.

      "Are you really dropping Law?" She asked, still staring. I shrugged. I didn't really think about it as much, but when I finally said it I knew that I meant it. Law wasn't what I really wanted to do with my life. It never was. I didn't know what was, actually.

     "Yes." I said and I knew that it was true. Jamie smiled.

     "Man, I must be rubbing off on you." She joked. "Well, lets walk to Keiko's" She sighed. I did too, Keiko's villa was only a couple of houses away, but with the sizes of the houses and the amount of space between them, we were practically walking some miles.

My daddy came after us just as we stepped out of the front door.

    "Gabriel. wait." He called out to me. I turned and walked to meet him. "Are you sure, amore? Is this what you really want to do?" He asked. He looked sincere.

      "Sì, papà. Ne sono sicuro." I said, honestly. I gave him a sincere look. "I need to do what's best for me papà. I'm tired of living my life for pleasing others." That seemed to satisfy him. He pulled me into a hug and I breathed in his musky smell, still the same after all these years.

     "If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

I frowned. "Well, I might be needing a place to stay since I told off mom." I joked, but was actually serious. My mother could be a great opponent if you get on her bad side. I wouldn't be surprised if she cut off all my credit cards and ended my lease on my apartment. My Papa laughed.

"I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. You mom was just surprised you finally stuck up for yourself. I also want to meet the guy that finally broke you out of your shell." He said after letting me go. "Give my best to Sakura and come visit me more la mia bella figlia. An old man gets lonely without his baby girl."

     "I will papà. Promise."