ROMD. Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I thought I heard him wrong. "I'm sorry, who?" I asked, picking up my glass and trying to clean up the mess with my napkin. Luke laughed a little nervously.

      "I said Kayla Morrow." He said. I stopped wiping. The glass slipped out of my fingers and shattered into a million tiny pieces. It was silent as I caught my breath.

     "Are you kidding me?!" I screamed shrilly. My voice went up like seven octaves and Luke actually flinched. "The actress?!" I continued. I stood up, crunching glass in the process, running my hands through my hair and pacing. I started ranting in italian. In case you haven't figured out from my name, I am italian. "Come diavolo è potuto succedere? chi diavolo avrebbe rotto con qualcuno bella come lei. Merda! Merda! Oh, Gesù mio." Which was something along the lines of. "How the hell could this happen to me?" with a lot of swearing. Luke put a hand on my shoulder stopping my pacing.

     "Whoa italian? Calm down Gabriel." I whirled on him.

     "But-But Kayla Freaking Morrow? You were engaged to Kayla freaking Morrow?" I screeched. I suddenly flared with jealousy thinking about him being in another woman's arms. I did not like that feeling. And Kayla freaking Morrow? She was just so beautiful. Her eyes were a smoldering gray-blue and her wild blond curls and just screamed sex kitten. She was so tall and graceful. I was just Gabriel. Short, rail-thin, flat as a board Gabriel. She was beautiful in the way keiko, Jamie and Addison was. I've felt inferior all my life and now I had to face this? I felt like I couldn't compete. Them, together were just so picture perfect. They looked like they were made for each other. I didn't like that, actually I hated that.  It was then that I realized that I'd already fallen for Luke. And hard.

     "Gabi, calm down. It was like almost a year ago." He pulled me down onto his lap. I sighed and put my head into the crook of his neck.

     "But she's Kayla Freaking Morrow." I mumbled. It didn't occur to me that I was a little drunk, having downed four glasses of wine in the space of ten minutes. Luke, surprisingly laughed. He pulled me to face him and cupped my faced with his hands.

     "And you're Gabriel Freaking Dyson." He teased. "It doesn't matter to me."

     "But she's so tall! And I'm short. She has these big melons!" I gestured to myself in my slinky green dress Jamie chose for tonight. "Look at these things, they barely qualify as boobs." He looked where I directed and his eyes darkened just a bit.

     "They look pretty good to me." He said huskily. I laughed.

      "You're biased." I said, kissing him lightly. "But thank you anyway." He frowned slightly.

     "But it's true." He defended. "You're beautiful Gabi why can't you see it?" I shook my head, kissing him again. He kissed me back and I shifted to that I was straddling him not breaking the kiss. I started to unbutton his shirt.  It dissapointed me when he pulled away, but I was happy because it didn't look like he really wanted to.

     "Gabi,we can't do this." He groaned. I frowned and pouted.

     "You don't want to." I pouted, sticking my lip out and making my eyes bigger. Luke sighed.

     "Of course I want to you little twit. But, love, you're drunk. I don't want to take advantage of a drunkened woman."

     "Oh." I frowned. "I understand." I was a sensible drunk. I went to get off his lap but he held me tight. I looked at him.

     "I didn't say you could move." He defended, with a smile. I smiled back, ruffling his hair.

     "You know," I said leaning back into his chest. "I don't know much about you." Luke looked down at me. I felt his stubble scratch my cheek.

     "What do you want to know?" He asked. "Although I'm sure you won't remember by tomorrow." He mumbled.

     "I don't know, what's your favorite color?"

     "Pale green, sometimes gray." He said with a wink. I laughed. "And you?"

     "Blue-green." I smiled. "Where are you from?"

     "Wales. You?" Hmm, well that explained the slight accent.

     "Westchester." I answered, not that interesting. "Any siblings? How's your relationship with your family."

      "Well I have a brother who's sixteen and a pair of twin sisters who are seven. Cole's my cousin, but we are like brothers. My mom's a teacher and my dad, well we don't talk much." He explained. I pictured a little boy and two little girls with luke's features. Aw, how cute. He didn't ask me about my family which I highly apprieciated. Instead he asked. "What made you want to be a lawyer?" I stared at the ceiling and thought about that for a minute.

     "Hmm, I don't know. I actually wanted to study music from the beginning. Maybe it was Keiko's mom, Sakura. She practically raised me and maybe I wanted to follow in her footsteps. Plus it made my mother happy." I leaned back, satisfied with my answer.

     "So it's not something you wanted to do for yourself?" He asked me.

     "I-" I couldn't answer him. I never really thought of it that way before. Being a lawyer was just an easy choice so I could take music too. Did I just do it because of my mother? I'm sure Sakura wouldn't care what I did as long as it was something I really wanted. Why was I aiming to be a lawyer? I had no freaking idea. How sad was that?

     "Lets get out of here. I'm tired." I said and I really was. So tired in fact that I fell asleep as soon as the words left my mouth.