Race the runners: 4

I ran over to the gardens where the track-hoes work and spotted Newt keeling on the ground pulling up weeds. Before I could approach him I heard a voice behind me.

"Hey, greenie! Over here!" I turned the other way to see a bigger guy standing on the other side of the gardens waving his left arm in the air. I jogged over to him and greeted him.

The guy was called Zart and told me he was Keeper of the track-hoes. He told me how they carry out their job gardening and growing the vegetables. After he had done explaining I ran back to Newt.

"Hey." I said simply as I went to stand in front of him.

"Oh hey Y/N." Newt responded not looking away from his shovel in hand as he dug up the dirt and soil. "Are you alright? Heard the time you spent in the blood-house wasn't great. Apparently you threw up when you got outta there." He asked, pulling up old weeds with the pointed, metal end of the shovel.

I cringed with embarrassment over the fact I couldn't even handle a job like that when it obviously, in the glade is so much easier than being a runner.

"Uh, yeah. Guess I'm just not cut out for that kind of thing." I replied grasping onto my own shovel.

"Maybe not. I know me and Alby will be able to find a job best suited to you though." 

When Newt said that I think I came to realize that Newt was second in command of the entire place. How did I forget something like that? He has as much authority over everyone in the glade as Alby.

"Mhm... Sure." I replied in a more monotone voice avoiding the urge to look at him.

It took us about two hours to finish up with the track-hoes and it began to get late. It wasn't exactly dark yet, but the sky was a murky grey and the clouds were dark and thick. Newt headed off to meet Alby in the homestead so I went to meet Frypan and Minho. (The runners were back now) I sat down on the wood logs outside the kitchen next to Minho and I asked a butt-ton of questions about the runners. Of course at one point Minho must have gotten bored of answering all my questions.

"Woah, okay that's enough questions now greenie." Minho said raising his arm.

"Oh alright then- but c'mon I'm just bored now." I replied rolling my eyes. But then I came up with a fun idea. "Hey... Minho?"

"What's up green bean? More questions?" He asked.

"No- How about we have a little... race?" I asked grinning.

"Excuse me. What-" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"You heard me." I replied. "Race me over to the homestead." I asked standing from my seat raising my fists to above my waist.

"hmmm... Okay then greenie. Don't cry about it when I win." He said also standing up in a confident tone. "We'll start from here and whoever gets to the homestead door first, wins." He said motioning towards the homestead with a nod.

I nod back to him with a smile. "Okay... Ready?"

"Set..." Minho said.

"GO!" We both shout and the next thing I know we're running. Before I even asked to race him I knew I would win. Why? Because I scripted it. While in my CR I scripted that in this DR I'm one of the fastest, strongest and most athletic in the glade. (Obviously not to be such a main character, but...) As we ran I found myself sprinting and jumping over all types of random stuff that happened to be chucked everywhere on our path to the homestead. I watched as Minho looked at me shocked and surprised as I kept the same pace as him. We kept running fast until we got very close to the other gladers. I saw them watching with interested and surprised looks as we ran. That's when I decided to speed up. I sprinted as fast as I could to the door of the homestead. 3...2...1... "HAHAHA I WON!!" 

I reached the door with what only seemed 2 seconds before Minho... He was way faster than I imagined...  We were both breathless leaning over and breathing in and out heavily. 

"I didn't think you were that fast." Minho said straightening himself up and breathing normally again.

"Yeah, well..."

"Y'know... I think you actually do have the skills to be a runner..." Minho mumbled slowly.

"What?" I asked.

"Alright here's the deal greenie. As keeper of the runners I'm going to try and convince Alby and Newt to let you be a runner." He said and smiled slightly.

"Wait seriously?! Wow thanks Minho!" I exclaimed.

-----------

Later on at dinner, we sat around the fire and I decided to sit by myself behind a log looking up at the ink black sky, only brightened by specks of light scattered across the night sky. The stars were so beautiful... I wonder how any of the gladers feel looking at them.  I turned my head to look around at all the gladers. I saw Minho talking to Newt and I leaned my arms on the log and buried my face in them, smiling as I felt the heat from the bright flames even from far over here.

I can't believe I'm finally here... With them... 

I thought before I slowly drifted asleep by the warmth of the fire, leaning against the log surrounded by the bustling noise of the gladers...

-----------

my eyes fluttered open a bit and I could smell the remains of burning embers and wood. I couldn't really see anything except I felt that I wasn't on the ground anymore leaning against the log... I felt arms around me carrying me somewhere. I didn't move and closed my eyes again. I was too tired to think about anything anymore and I let myself fall asleep yet again...

-------------

HI GUYS!! I know it's been a while since I've uploaded a chapter... sorry about that! I'm also sorry this chapter is so short!! The start of this chapter has been in drafts for a while now but today i decided to finish it! I hope you'll stay for the next chapter! 

Author - Tehya <3