[1.07] cal

Chip hesitated outside her brother's door before rapping on the light wood, needing something different from her usual routine to distract herself from the thoughts within her mind that had just started to scream a little too loudly. "Cal?"

"Aye?" he yelled through the door, causing her to open the door fully. He looked up from the book that had currently taken all his attention and frowned at her, sitting up fully on the bed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm just bored and decided to come and pester you," she shrugged, completely changing the subject away from anything being wrong in the hopes that he wouldn't ask any further. She added to his distraction by taking the folded chess board from his desk which she then placed in front of him, instigating a game the second that the board touched his duvet. "Aren't you supposed to be at work?" she asked, watching as he set up the board rapidly. She would help but she had been yelled at many times for 'doing it the wrong way' when in reality, if all the pieces were in the correct place, how could there be a right way or a wrong way?

"I'm suffering a terrible headache," he divulged somewhat reluctantly, mind elsewhere as he began the game.

Chip chuckled as she made her move. It wasn't unusual of him to take a sick day when he found an incredibly good book. He had done the same thing at least five times last year but only ever used it when it was completely necessary. "So... how's this book?"

"So incredible I've been unable to put it down since this morning," he responded and her gaze fell to the book at his side, placed in such a way that his page was held without damage to the pages. Chip marked the page with her finger as she picked the book up, pages flipping against her hand as she read the blurb on the back.

"Looks crap," she frowned, placing the book back down at his side so the page would remain to be held.

"Shut up you only read romances," he grumbled whilst staring at the board, anticipating her next move while trying to find a move he could make without casualty.

She laughed, "That's bullshit."

"Oh right, I'm sorry, the classics," he responded jokingly, confidently moving another piece across the board.

"Asshole," she mumbled, taking one of his pieces rather forcefully instead of her usual calm manoeuvres. "Your shitty little thrillers are nothing compared to the classics." 

"Shut up so I can win," he muttered, staring intently at the board as he rested his chin in his hand.

Chip chuckled softly, watching as Cal's concentration frown deepened, "Not going to happen Cal. I've won the past fifteen games we've played."

"I won two days ago!"

"No you didn't. You tipped the board."

He, momentarily ignoring her response, moved a piece and fell directly into her trap. "Fuck you get out of my room."

Chip laughed and shrugged softly, proceeding to move a piece despite Cal's threat. For a minute or two they played in silence until Cal sighed in annoyance and flipped the board, sending the pieces flying all over his bed whilst she laughed. "For someone who used to play chess competitively, you suck."

"Screw you," he laughed, picking up his book again as Chip headed out of the room.

She paused at the door, hanging her head through the gap as she asked, "We still going into town later for tea?"

"Aye."

"Grand," she smiled and then closed the door back up, heading back to her bedroom and the previous pit of despair.

-

Chip sat on her bed, nose in a book as she waited for her brain to slow down so she could sleep finally. Cal had remained at the pub after their tea, wanting to have a drink with one of his mates. Chip was glad of the walk home in the calmness of a slightly chilly evening so it didn't particularly bother her. But suddenly, she could hear him rattling at the front door as if trying to open it with everything but a key. Chip, with a sigh, climbed up and stuck her head out of her window, yelling down to her brother, "Cal?"

"I forgot my keys," he whisper yelled drunkenly, having struggled for a moment to figure out where the voice had been coming from in the first place.

She shook her head, laughing softly, "They're in your jacket pocket dumbass."

He hesitated then fumbled in the pockets of the jacket that she was so tempted to steal every day she saw it on the hanger. "Oh, sorry!"

"Shut up you'll wake Mammy."

Cal threw his hands up, one of which now contained his keys, then fumbled to open the door. The instant she heard him stumble into the kitchen and the water spilling from the tap, Chip sighed and silently wondered down the stairs.  She found Cal slumped into a chair in the kitchen, drinking from a glass of water. "Foot," she sighed as she sat on the floor, hands ready to undo the laces of his shoes. He stuck out his foot then she took off her shoes, shoes that had somehow gotten incredibly muddy on his walk home despite the fact it was paved the entire way.

"How come you're up?"

She shrugged, frowning at how much he slurred his words,  "Couldn't sleep. Christ, how much did you drink?"

"Too much," he groaned, rubbing his head with his fingers.

"Pass out on the sofa too much?"

"Mam'll kill me if tha' happens-s again." 

"Aye," she laughed softly, remembering the argument that had followed the last time Cal passed out on the sofa. "Can you make it up the stairs?"

He hesitated and stared intently at the wall, as if it would tell him all the answers. "Might fall."

Chip grumbled, knowing she would have to help him up the stairs and that endeavour would probably wake her Mam anyway. "Fucks sake."