[1.03] first day back

As they climbed onto the bus, Michelle pulled her bag off of her shoulder and started handing out Avons and insults that would get her sales. Chip however, had her gaze fixed on the back of the bus that was completely full. She knew of Michelle's plan by the smirk that crossed her lips when Erin asked where they were going to sit. She also knew who took the seats at the back, Mandy's little sister. So she, without the others knowing, slipped into the middle seat at the back of two spare rows. She did not want to get involved but knew that if she said anything to Chelle, she would be pulled into the drama anyway. So she did not say a word. That was until James looked at her peculiarly, wondering why she had sat down without the others. She looked up and whispered, "If you don't want to have trouble with Sister Michael, I'd sit."

And James, not wanting to get into trouble with Sister Michael on his first day, sunk into the seat next to Chip without asking any further questions. After a few seconds of silence, the girls appeared around them looking uncomfortable and forlorn. Even Orla, who hopped over the seats in front of Chip and into the window seat beside her, sat and ate her bag of pick n mix with a brief frown.

"How long does this fast last?" Chelle asked as the bus pulled away from the stop, beginning their journey to school. Chip's head turned instantly at the mention of a fast, not wanting her friends to fall onto the awful path that she had become accustomed to.

"Twenty four hours," Clare answered quickly then reluctantly glanced at her watch, not wanting to read the true time. "So I still have... almost twenty three hours to go."

"A fast Clare?" Ciara cleared her throat, worry for her friend beginning to boil in the bottom of her stomach. Fasting suddenly wasn't easy on the body nor the mind, as she knew from experience. It got easier after the first twenty four hours as the hunger dulled and died down.

"Do you want to sponsor me Chip?" Clare asked brightly, fumbling for her bag for the piece of paper folded in one of the pockets.

Ciara thought about it for only two seconds before she dug into her jacket pocket, pulling out the coins that she had taken from her Mammy for lunch. "Two pounds," she replied, feeling a surge of joy at the sight of Clare's thankful smile compared to her dulled expression beforehand.

As they reached a checkpoint on the road, not even halfway through their journey, Ciara sighed and leant onto Orla's shoulder. She shut her eyes and squeezed them shut, just desperately wanting to go back to bed and sleep off the gnawing feeling that had enveloped her entire body. "You look a bit Peaky," Orla whispered, poking Chip's cheek with her finger.

"It's the bus," Chip frowned, answering without opening her eyes, she was not exactly going to tell them the real reason, given that no one knew anything about her issues with food.

After ten minutes, where Chip edged closer to sleep with every passing second, someone nudging her shoulder pulled her from near sleep. She, with a deep frown, opened her eyes and scowled at Michelle who had turned around to interrupt her sleep.

"You think if I told him I had an incendiary device down my knickers, he'd have a look?" she whispered, smirking as she leant over the seat in front so Chip could hear easier.

"Michelle. He's a soldier," Erin grumbled in reply, strictly staring at the font of the bus without redirecting her gaze.

"Ach, some of them are rides."

Chip mumbled back, leaning against Orla's shoulder as her eyes fluttered closed again, "There was a massive ride down the bridge on Tuesday."

Michelle was silent for a moment, thinking as she remained to peer at a near sleeping Chip, "Curly hair?"