Chapter Twelve: Final Battle

The USS Bonaventure, the Romulan Defense Fleet, and the Federation Task Force move in to attack the Planet Killer. Without the Tal Shiar device to control the Doomsday Machine, it was free to attack anyone or anything at will. Despite the combined firepower of Romulan and Starfleet Weapons, it was still not enough to penetrate the Doomsday Machines neutronium hull. It did not matter, because it was only meant to be a distraction. The Doomsday Machine moves around, randomly firing its antiproton beam at the Romulan and Starfleet Vessels. The Romulans struggle to stay ahead of the Planet Killer since Starfleet propulsion systems were ten times more powerful. Two Romulan Warbirds are destroyed, and three others are disabled.

"Weapons fire is still not getting through, Captain," reported Thay'la Shrol. "That neutronium hull is so strong, it's like trying to break a bamboo stick with a butter knife," Thay'la Shrol was born on Andoria but was raised on Earth. 

"Status of the Romulans," asked Damian.

"They are taking heavy fire, Sir," reported Vailon. "I do not expect the Romulans to last much longer under this kind of assault," Damian sighed. He prayed for the Romulans. 

"Then we're going to have to give it everything we have," said Damian. "Helm, come about and prepare to launch the Hargh'peng torpedo," The USS Bonaventure breaks off its attack on the Planet Killer and moves to a safe distance to launch the Hargh'peng torpedo. They would only get one shot, so it was vital to make it count.

The Doomsday Machine turns towards the USS Bonaventure and fires its antiproton beam

The Doomsday Machine turns towards the USS Bonaventure and fires its antiproton beam. The USS Bonaventure is hit and heavily damaged. Its shield generators are offline, and all weapon systems save for the forward photon torpedo launcher are crippled. Sparks and explosions from the Bridge Consoles send some of the officers flying across the Bridge. Damian covers his face with his left arm and looks around to see debris on the floor. Including the bodies of two bridge officers. 

"Damage report," said Damian. Thay'la, with a bruise on her forehead and a cut on her right cheek, she taps the controls on her console to analyze the damage to the ship.

"Shields and weapons are down, except our forward torpedo launcher. Hull integrity is down to 50%," replied Thay'la. "Emergency force fields are not responding," despite Thay'la's attempt to contain the damage, there was nothing she could do. 

"Casualty reports are coming in from all over the ship. Sickbay is responding," said Teresa.

"Captain, we cannot sustain another hit," reported Vailon.

The Doomsday Machine slowly approaches the USS Bonaventure and readies its antiproton beam. The Machine was intent on destroying the Bonaventure, and there was no stopping it from completing its task. The Bonaventure crew had one chance to end this threat once and for all, and it was time for them to take it. 

"Thay'la, it's up to you now. Fire when ready!" said Damian. 

Thay'la looks at her controls and arms the Hargh'peng torpedo. Pressing the 'fire' button on her console, Thay'la Shrol launches the warhead.