| PROLOGUE

"on your marks... get set... go!"

engines roared and the smell of diesel burned while a cloud of dust flew behind the two impatient vehicles. they zoomed past, like a slingshot being released from a tight pull. leaving the flag girl standing alone with nothing but tire marks tattooed into the imprinted ground.

the swarms of teens around the poor excuse of a race track were injected with excitement. after all, they had a good line up tonight. park sunghoon and sim jake were the first of the night, the pair going against choi yeonjun and kang taehyun from the neighbouring school.

your school had been clashing with theirs since the beginning of drag racing in the town. and for god sake was it hard to hate them. you had to admit yeonjun and taehyun were pretty nifty, in both looks and racing skills. that compliment was hard to achieve when dreamboats such as sunghoon and jake in your crew actively circulated near theirs.

although none of those boys could even come close to the star racers of their school. lee heeseung and choi soobin. the very two boys on that very track in front of you. the last race for the night and would set the tie straight.

star-racer was a tough title to earn. it would be gifted to the most impressionable, speediest and greatest racer in the school. this changed every month so it was not only difficult climbing social ranks but also maintaining it.

take park jay for example.

that stud was the biggest daredevil on the road you'd ever seen. though you'd never seen it happen, rumours had spread that he raced against the biggest cheaters on the block. the opponent kept ramming into the side of jay's vehicle so he unlocked his door and kicked it open so hard the other car almost skimmed off track. he won the race so triumphantly, only costing the door off his new jacked ride. you recalled another perspective saying the knucklehead walked out with a limp but he still wouldn't admit it to this day. but aside from the incident, he was proud of his win streak. that was until he was flogged the race after and lost the next vote to heeseung.

the makeshift race track was nothing more but a dried up dam with smooth concrete walls sloped so perfectly that you could sit on them comfortably. and although you couldn't see the racers when they swerved past the first corner, it was hidden form authorities, had a good length for an abandoned rivulet and a perfect spot for the after parties.

"who d'you thinks gonna win?" your imaginative head turned to a familiar face beside you, beauty mark under his left eye and a boxy smile from his direct question. you politely smiled back, shaking your head and looking back at the empty track in front of you.

"lee, obviously," you replied while rolling your eyes at even considering the rival school's victory. the opposition's barracks sat at the opposite side of the concrete wall. a scoff left your lips as your distracted gaze surveyed each one, "look at all those daisies," the last word mocking their private school uniforms and high academics.

riki laughed quietly, deep voice at the back of his throat as he leaned his forearms on his knees, facing the same direction as you were. spotting two extremely close students, mouths glued to one another while they made out as if they were fish out of water. your watch widened as you slowly craned your head towards riki to see if he was also witnessing the disgusting view. your question was answered when he was already facing you, mirroring your expression with a dropped jaw.

a huge surge of laughter hit the both of you, holding onto your stomach and folding yourself forward. the laughter almost started to hurt as you couldn't stop, only piling on heavier when riki recreated the couple's way of kissing by positioning his hands in front of him, like he was holding the nape of an invisible person, and flicking his tongue up and down unflatteringly with a scrunched nose.