Chapter 4: Knots

I was at the edge of the sink, holding ice on top of my nose and tilting my head so he could clean the injury. Ryder was behind me, arms resting lightly on my shoulders, working so close and steadily. It must've been awkward for us however, he stayed focused. Apart from me. My skin was on fire the whole time even though his hands were cold from having washed them.

An awkward arm brush.

"My bad."

And a head adjustment.

Ryder explained how the bleeding had stopped a while ago, which was a relief. But the excess blood dried in my hair, making me prone to infection. It also turned out to be deeper than he thought, which meant he had to position me to the exact angle where his breath kept hitting my neck repeatedly.

Gianna had finished closing up the store and already left. So it was just me and Ryder in the CVS lobby with only one hall light on. It should've been creepy, but I was uncharacteristically relaxed knowing there was another person here. Someone who works out daily and cracks six feet easily.

He hadn't said anything since Gia left, but strangely, it wasn't awkward. I liked watching him work. It was much too quiet for my taste, but not enough to make me start a conversation he didn't give any initiation to sharing. I glanced out the corner of my eye, admiring how the lights casted shadows in his face. It was dreamlike and euphoric and Ryder's face caught it all.

Whatever my next thought was went flying out of my brain, because he finished cleaning my head. Which meant he had to set down the cotton ball. Which meant for a moment, his chest was pressed up against me. His sleeve lifted up so slightly as he reached over, and I caught glimpse of some not so discreetly hidden tattoo on his bicep. I could feel every inch of his muscles through the thin fabric of his shirt. I knew Swimmers had to work out for long hours to get those muscles, but that's because when your thrown into water, you're so concentrated on trying not to drown, you forget about the free exercise you get. So I wouldn't be surprise that Ryder doesn't realize how fit he is. That's why it's not a big deal for him to lean on me. It only lasted for a second and then the cold air rushed back. I had to hold the ice higher to hide what I prayed wasn't a blush, because then that would've meant I would be crushing for Ryder Harris. And another complex discussion for what that means for me.

"So will you tell me how you got this?"

I was mildly surprised he even said anything.

"I ran into Tyler Braker. And it was because of this stupid kiss I didn't even want."

"Tyler gave you a kiss?" He gestured to my still slightly red lips from Lisa.

"Yeah, turns out he had a crush on me after all. Typical jock behavior." I chuckle and then we fell back into a quiet step. "He had an ex-girlfriend."

He hums in response.

"I guess they were trying to get back at each other and I just happened to be walking by the at the wrong time. It happened so fast I couldn't stop it. I honestly think I died when she kissed me and died a second time seeing Tyler figure that out."

These are the most words I've spoken to him and I wish it wasn't about Tyler Braker. I also wish I got a heads up. If I had known Ryder Harris would be rubbing alcohol into my scalp, I would've at least washed my hair this morning.

He sighs. "Tyler was always like that. I never considered him as a real part of the Swim Team."

"Why not? I thought he played good."

"He hurt a lot of people. We called him out a number of times but that's as far as it got."

"You called him out?"