CH. SIXTEEN | Return to Salvation

*FOUR MONTH TIMESKIP*

SUMMER ADORNED THE WEATHER, strong waves of heat blowing along the strides of wind that painted the grounds. The seasons had changed, winter and spring coming and going much like the time the Island spent waiting.

The days had come and gone, the hours flashing by in an instant were all agonizingly anticipating an attack from Marley, only to be met with an empty ocean and their people imprisoned in cells.

32 ships, they counted. 32 ships sent by Marley, and not one had been successful. Some could only imagine just how harsh of a loss their nation was feeling, a threat to their power Y/N would call it. Their entire force is now threatened, having only been gone for nearly a year it's only a matter of time until Marley's rivals unite for war.

Yet even with her time away, she always found herself thinking back to those she called family. How were they doing? Were they okay? Were they taking her departure well? So many questions left unanswered, fading into the waves of the ocean tides to never be seen again.

The sound of metal clinging against one another, the clash roaming the surrounding area while the rays of the sun illuminated their skin, heating it up to the touch.

The Levi squad was working on the railroad, laying flat the tracks that would lead out towards the port from Wall Maria as a way to gain easy access from inside the walls, an advantage created by the skilled engineers of Marley.

The heat was unbearable, leaving everyone sweaty and tired as they continued to work, pausing once every three hours to take a break. The dry heat, mixed with the wetness of the ocean left the humidity to spike, and the feeling was gross across their skin.

"Is this... something... they really needed us.. to do? I'm beat." Connie spoke, slouching his shoulders while wiping the beads of sweat that glistened on his forehead. "Working in this type of weather should be a crime."

"If only a certain someone learned to keep his mouth shut.." Jean  grumbled, glaring towards a certain green eyed boy who was hammering nails down into the track. "We could be doing something other than working, like, actually enjoying the beach again."

Sighs and mutters filled the air, ones of pain and complaints, only to be shut down by a familiar voice telling them that working benefits the island. (everyone soon shot him a death glare)

Y/N on the other hand, could only laugh under her breath as she sat atop a barrel. "I disagree. I'm with Eren on this, it is a good chance for us to build our muscles." She said while nudging Jean, a smile on her face to distract from the immense exhaustion she felt from the uncomfortable heat.

"Easy for you to say."

Jean huffed, turning his face away from her direction as he leaned down for the towel he dropped on the floor to wipe his face.

She raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms over her chest while staring at him intently.

"How so?"

Even after all the time that has passed, she still managed to intimidate everyone with just a look.

Jean stood silent, stiffening in place as he could feel her eyes on him. 'Well shit.'

"Yeah Jean, how so?" Connie snickered, mimicking Y/N and crossing his arms as well, yet his tone held one of sarcasm and a playful glint in his eyes.

"Uhm... I'm just saying since you already are fairly strong..."

Jean swallowed thickly, turning to look at her with a face that pleaded 'forgive me'.