CH. EIGHT | Their Side of the Sea

WAKING UP THE NEXT MORNING with nothing but sore limbs, a grim expression, and my pride from the previous day, I got up quickly, walking to the shared bathrooms to take a muscle soothing shower and change into my training uniform.

For the past 48 hours, I've spent these countless moments working out and completing my productive training just to get ready for war once again.

I never got used to being sent out for assist and extra help.

They usually kept me with the fleets secured to the port, but sooner or later, I would be put in the front lines with the Eldian unit fighting hand on hand with the enemy.

The fleets were boring anyways. No one ever truly knew what they were doing and it was taking way too long to gain control of the seas.

The main command of the ships rarely even knew what was happening, causing me to have more control over the soldiers.

But being sent into the front lines, watching other Eldian's get killed was extremely nerve racking for me.

I wasn't ready. The smell of death always got to me on personal level yet I could kill others with ease. I could taste blood just by being exposed to it.

Death has that certain stench. Always too overbearing for my gut to handle.

Something had to be wrong with me though.

For when I killed, I never felt remorse. The awful iron smell of blood never got to me like that. Crimson staining my clothing, the area around me, even a blade like paint splatter.

That feeling seemed to never be there when I was face to face with an opponent. Yet the lack of sympathy I had for my victims was agonizing.

That was a person with a life, a family, a future ahead of them yet I took it away with no second thoughts. It came naturally, like I had done it in a past life. A random nostalgic moment.

Yup. Something is definitely wrong with me.

With a fix of my red and black armband, I checked the time from my pocket watch, rushing out of my dorm immediately to the Commander unit just waiting for my lecture.

'Shit. I'm running late once again. This never gets old.'

Soldiers were roaming the grounds, scrambling just to get ready for sailing out on the fleet for the port reconstruction and boarding trucks for battlefield departure. Some were saying their goodbyes and giving away any special belongings to the few family members who were allowed to gather on the grounds for a certain amount of time, just to wish farewell among their children.

'Wow. I must've really woken up late because everyone is in a-'

Since I wasn't paying attention to where I was running, I rammed straight into someone's chest, stumbling back a bit from the harsh impact.

'What's up with me and not paying attention today?'

I looked up coming face to face with the person before me and a slightly scared expression dawned on my facial features.

'Oh no.'

"C-Commander Magath!!" I choked on my words while saluting. "My apologies for running into you at this time of day! I was just making my way to the unit for our me-"

He cut me off with a grunt, clearing his throat in which I immediately shut up.

"I don't need your excuses, nor your apologies, L/N. I was going to send a messenger out to you since you are approximately 8 minutes late but figured I would pass the information on to you myself."