32. Orange

We fall asleep in the bed of the truck that night, I am snuggled into JJ's arms as the nightly cold air hits my skin.

The next morning, we are driving across the bridge as boats go under the bridge.

"I wonder where JB and Sarah are." I say.

JJ squeezes my hand, knowing how much I miss my twin. He gives me a comforting smile. A few minutes later, we are almost at the house.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." I say. Then we park outside.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" JJ asks.

"Pretty sure." Pope says.

We all get out of the truck and start walking to the house.

"Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ asks.

"No. Those are to keep people in." I say.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope says. We all walk up to the door and Pope knocks.

"Do you think they heard it?" Pope asks.

"Maybe they're not home." Kie says. Pope goes to knock again but then the guy opens the door.

"You must be Pope." The guy says. He checks me out before turning his attention to Pope. He has orangish brownish hair.

JJ pulls me to his side as he sees the man check me out. I cross my arms and lean into JJ's side.

"Are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope asks.

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday. Alone." The man says.

"Sorry. The truck broke down." Pope says.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ says. The man gives JJ an annoyed look.

"She was real upset when you didn't show up." The guy says.

"Well we're here now so I'm sure Pope can still see her." I say.

"We got here as fast as we could." Kie says.

"She also expected you to come alone." The guy says.

"These are my friends. They helped me find the royal merchant too." Pope says.

"The instructions were explicit." The man says. This dude is pissing me off now.

"I don't know what your problem is." I say. "You must've woke up on the wrong side of the bed because you're being a real bitch this morning." I say.

"I'm sorry, what is your name?" He asks.

"Ashlyn Routledge." I say. "John B is my twin."

"Oh well in that case, Ms. Limbrey would want you to stay as well." The man says. "The rest of you can stay outside."

"Hey, wherever Ash goes, we're kind of a package deal so I should come with." JJ says.

The man shakes his head. "No." He says. JJ looks mad.

"J, I'll be fine." I say. I kiss him on the cheek and give his hand a quick reassuring squeeze. Then I walk inside with Pope.

"Wait in here. Ms. Limbrey will be right with you." The man says. He walks away.

"This is creepy." I say. "I tell the guy who I am and he is suddenly interested."

"Maybe it's because you're related to John B." Pope says.

"Yeah but something seems kinda off." I say.

A few minutes later, we hear the sound of footsteps and crutches. Then a woman with crutches with greyish blondish hair walks in.

"Mr. Heyward." She says. "And you must be Miss Routledge." She turns to face us. "I'm Carla Limbrey."

"People just call me Ash." I say. "My friends do."

"Have a seat." Carla says.

"Thanks for everything. This means a lot to me." Pope says.

"Can I offer you some tea?" Limbrey asks.

"I'm okay. Thanks though." I say.

"I know you guys lost the gold to Ward Cameron." Limbrey says.

"How do you know that?" Pope asks.

"Ward and I have a long and tortured history. I funded his first development project." She says. "Ward and I were partners when looking for the Royal merchant."

"Wait, so you knew my father?" I ask.