𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

¹︎⁷︎

[season four || episode sixteen]
bring it on

↓︎

lacuna:
(n.) a blank space; a missing
part

↓︎

"How come you get all the cool powers?" Pietro complained. He sounded like a little seven-year-old, which was not something out of the ordinary. Sitting on Caroline's couch, the male twin watched as Madeline cooked. He tried helping and got banned — again. It nearly left Caroline's house in flames.

Distracting herself from their sorrowful lives, she utilized her powers to complete a meal that would normally take an individual hours to prepare. Knives were chopping up ingredients without her having to lift a finger, thus, leaving the kitchen off limits.

"Trust me. It's not as great as it seems." Maddie said, shaking her head. Sometimes, out in public, she would walk and hear people's perverted thoughts. It was even worse when they revolved around her. Although she knew they wouldn't be able to lay a finger on her, it still made her skin crawl.

Caroline nodded in agreement, knowing all about the indecent things people thought. Needing to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling in her chest, Madeline had told her all about it instead of Pietro, mostly because he would do his best to hunt down whoever it was. "It has benefits, but people can be nasty."

"Does that mean you can hear my thoughts this very second?" Pietro asked, brows furrowed. Madeline frowned, instantly knowing he was probably thinking of the worst thing known to man. For her own good, she didn't bother veering into his mind.

"I have better control over it, thanks to Stefan." the redhead said, doing her very best not to infiltrate her friends' minds. Smiling widely at the mention of the hybrid's boyfriend, Caroline enjoyed seeing her best friend have a great support system. Caroline always detected how Maddie's eyes blazed with sincerity whenever she spoke about a specific Salvatore brother.

"How do you guys feel about going to school today?" Caroline asked. Although Jeremy's death was still taking an immeasurable toll on the twins, everyone knew they could not get entangled in it. Being vampires unfortunately made their grief feel a million times worse. It led to the urge to shut off their emotions.

Madeline had no intention of becoming emotionless and running loose.

Still working on controlling her powers, Madeline hesitated before Pietro answered for her. "We'll go." He wanted her to get used to being around people again.

"Great. Without you guys there, it seems like I have no friends." Caroline let out in an optimistic voice, planning to be with them every step of the way.

Completing her task, Madeline declared, "Lunch's ready." The plates and supplies she used were already washed and currently drying.

"Madeline Sage Saltzman, you are a miracle worker," Caroline said with her usual bright smile. Heart skipping a beat, Pietro couldn't help but grin at the blonde's expression.

A knock on the door kept the redhead from replying. She opened it, and her smile grew. Accustomed to greeting Stefan with a quick kiss, she pressed her lips against his. "Hi." It was brief, but it told her that he was there with her. It told her that even if the world was crumbling apart, she would be his one and only concern.

"Hi," Stefan replied, feeling like he had been away from her for too long. It got to where he was sure he was having withdrawals.

"Ew." Pietro gagged.