Chapter Nine

Vivian's frail body was crumpled by the side of the cell she was in. She had no sense of what time it was, or how long it had been since the Twilight Festival. She was thirsty, but could not ask for water because her throat was so dry, every breath was a miraculous gift. She wouldn't dare waste it. She was hungry, but could not ask for food because it was lucky for her to be alive. She was tired, but could not sleep because she was afraid of where it would take her.

  The rosy skirt of Vivian's gown from the night before was now torn and filthy. Every limb ached, and her head still couldn't make sense from what had happened. She could only see Seraphina and the pain in her eyes...but from where had that pain come from?

  Vivian's eyelids began to grow heavier now, and with every breath, she fought to stay awake. It was like she was falling, but a hand had yanked her up every time she was about to hit the ground. Finally, Vivian surrendered, and sleep was a relieving comfort that brought temporary warmth to every part of her shivering body. Except the heart.

  She woke up to find herself in the cell she had fallen asleep in, yet Vivian knew it was a dream. Everything was so silent and unnaturally warm. And suddenly there were footsteps in the hall, loud and pounding. A voice, menacing and cruel. She snapped her head up to find her brother-in-law standing before her sister-in-law, who was kneeling by the bars. Vivian rushed to meet her.

  Chains trailed from her limbs and neck like rivers. Her eyes were filled with guilt and weariness. Seraphina was close to succumbing.

  "I'm here for you," she whispered. "I'm sorry for everything."

  Vivian said only four words. "But you don't have to be."

  Their lips met again, but were quickly yanked apart. Blades flashed. Screams filled the hall. Tears splashed, and the angry Adar left in a hurry, leaving behind a body, a pool of blood, and a heartbroken prisoner.

  Vivian was eternally glad it was just a dream. She vowed never to sleep again.

-

  "Thirty-three crimes," Seraphina announced. "Twenty of which were categorised as theft, six of which were murder, two of which were attempted murder, and five of which are uncategorised."

  "Woah. That's your criminal record?" Zoe exclaimed. "Hold on. Why didn't you tell us this before we agreed to take you along?"

  "You never asked," replied Seraphina. "And besides, Adar's committed twenty-two. Eighteen murders, three thefts, and one uncategorised."

  "Let me guess," Rowan sighed. "Viktor's criminal record is zero and you're the guiltiest of your siblings."

  "Okay, fine," Seraphina said. "So I've committed more crimes than both my brothers combined. At least I only murdered a third of what Adar's done."

  "I'm beginning to really question you, Sera," Zoe told them.

  Seraphina bolted upright and glared at Zoe with a shockingly menacing growl.

  "Don't call me Sera," she snapped. "Only Viktor and Vivian are allowed to call me that."

  They were sitting in Viktor's carriage, which Seraphina had stolen after the dramatic finish to the Twilight Festival. Seraphina was gripping the reins alone in the first row. She knew that Rowan and Zoe couldn't see her face, and therefore didn't know what she was thinking. The truth was, she really missed Vivian, and longed for her presence in the empty seat beside her, but she wouldn't admit it, not even to herself.

  "Gosh, I'm sorry," apologised Zoe.

  "You should be," Seraphina sighed. "Okay, but listen. We have to go over something first."