Chapter-1

Aabha pov

I open my eyes, tears trickling down sideways as I stare at the ceiling with thousands of thoughts revolving in my head, mainly around the nightmare I just had.

I slowly get up and check the time, 3:55. I got up and reached the window in my room. I opened the curtains, it was pitch black. I turned the handle and slowly opened the window. The chilly wind smacking my face. Relief. I stood there staring at nothing for 15 minutes after which I decided to change to go out for a run. It was cold outside but I still decided to go for shorts so that I could get distracted from my memories or simply put trauma. I wore a deep blue co ord set of sports bra and tightly fitted shorts (*are they called tights?). I tied my hair into a pony tail.

I took my airpods and my mobile and started tip toeing downstairs so that I don't disturb my family members

I went out the front door and stood at the road for 10 seconds without any movement to take in the cold. I then slowly placed my airpods in my ears. I played people by Libianca. I started running. Slowly increasing my pace. The song ended and photograph by Ed sheeran played as if it wanted to make me cry, but I started thinking about my crazy best friends which helped me ease my mind. As I ran the songs changed. After almost 30 songs I stopped. I checked the time, 5:37. I walked back home via a shortcut. I reached home, both of them weren't awake yet. I tiptoed to my room again not wanting to disturb them both.

I live with an Indian couple who live here in America. They're both quite old so I call them dadu and dadi. It means grandfather and grandmother in hindi. When I ran away 4 years ago from that hell hole with my two best friends, we were 13 and to live legally we had to have guardians until we were 18 but as all the three of us were orphans there was no one to take us in and because we looked dirty and were filled with scars and blood no one wanted to adopt us. Instead of adopting us they would just give us a look of pity. We hated that look. We were in the police station like 3 abandoned kitten waiting to be picked. Well we were abandoned.
Oh well our social worker was so hardworking that she didn't even ask whether we had a family, not like we had one, instead she was fighting with her husband and whining that she wanted a dog. I know what you want to say, I'm also confused about why a bitch would need a dog, maybe she was horny, well whatever.
At that time there were 3 old couples who had come to the police station to complain about a missing couple in their neighborhood, we later found out that the husband had killed the wife and ran away with the insurance money, sad I know.
So these three couples saw us and interrogated the policemen about us and after doing some paperwork each couple took one of us with them. In early days we had our guard up, but their warmth slowly started to warm us up.

I went up and showered with hot water, ah the relaxation. After the shower and other morning routine, I came out in my towel and started blow drying my hair.

I started changing for school. Well I don't have school uniform, sooo yay? I mean I don't even know what's worse, dress code or searching foe an outfit every morning like a maniac.