Chapter THREE: Liss

Start from the beginning

"You did it," he whispered, bumping her shoulder.

Glancing up at him, she expected to find amusement dancing in his fire-lit eyes, not shadows. "What is it?"

He shook his head, gesturing at the Council. Liss' stomach sank. Rana's rumor. The announcement.

"Truthtellers, as you may have heard, we have more to address this evening—a timely decree, as it pertains to those who have risen to their Sixteenth. And since we have just inducted our last clanswoman of the year into that group, we thought it best to make the announcement in tandem with her ceremony."

Clanswoman. That would take getting used to.

"Councilwoman Bett, would you do the honors?" Fex returned to his chair, ushering forward his second.

Bett's long, rose-blond hair was swept behind golden cuffs shaped like leaves curling around her ears, elegant and deceptively delicate. Dimples stood out on her cheeks as she smiled beatifically down at them. "Good evening, friends. I daresay, no one could have asked for a more lovely day for a Sixteenth. I like to think it's no coincidence that we're also using the occasion to announce an impactful and necessary change to one of our time-honored traditions: the age at which women may perform their sacred duty as a Bearer."

Stifled gasps and deep rumblings of surprise roiled through the tent. A cold sweat pricked the back of Liss' neck. When she glanced at Dev, his expression was unchanged.

Fire burned in her belly. He knew. When had Dev found out Rana's rumor was true, and why hadn't he said anything?

"As most of you are aware," Bett said gently, "we have experienced certain... difficulties... in recent years maintaining a target threshold for live births." She held up her palms, fingers splayed. "This is no fault of anyone's, it is simply as the goddess has seen fit. However, after much deliberation, we've decided to lower the age at which a woman might first become Bearer, from twenty to seventeen. This means that we will recommend our clanswomen over the age of majority to begin their Engagements by the middle of their sixteenth year."

The moisture beading on the back of Liss's neck shot down her spine in an icy deluge. Sixteen and a half. Why would they—? How could they expect—?

"We understand this may come as a shock to the young women who were not anticipating such a change. Therefore, we are also amending the law to state that any woman between sixteen and twenty years old may choose her Seed. Should more than one woman request the same clansman, he must accept at least one application, and insofar as the Council allows, he may be granted permission to accept multiple requests."

"This is unjust," a deep voice from the shadows cried out. "You cannot force men into Engagements like this!"

"Aye, we can." Bett's voice was a silken purr. "Men will have to accept certain requests from our youngest and most eligible women. Is it really so bad? We women have been subject to choiceless Engagements for centuries."

The man started to argue but someone cuffed him, cutting short his reply. Several long moments passed, and no one else spoke up. Bett served the crowd a renewed smile before returning to her seat. Despite Liss' disgust, she had to admit a valid point had been made. Men had always chosen their partners, while it was a new rule to allow women the same right. But Liss couldn't find it in herself to be grateful. She was too young! They were all too young.

"Why?" She turned to Dev. The fire in her belly rose into her throat, searing her words. "You knew, and you let me go through with the ceremony."

"What choice did I have? I didn't want you running away and getting into trouble."