Chapter Four

A month later, weekly dinner has turned into nightly dinner.

It's a Saturday night. Emily, Alison, and Jesse sit on the floor in the living room playing Sorry. It's a close game But Jesse wins.

"Alright, buddy, it's time for bed. Say goodnight to Emily."

"Can Emily come do tuck-ins too? Please?"

Alison looks to Emily and Emily chuckles. "Okay, buddy."

Emily follows them to his bedroom and Alison lifts him up into bed and grabs a book off the shelf as Emily tucks his covers in. With Emily there, she and Alison take turns reading, doing funny voices for the different characters, making Jesse laugh. They finish the book and Alison kisses Jesse goodnight. Emily stands up from the bed.

"Goodnight buddy. I love you."

"Emily, you're forgetting good night kisses." Jesse points to his forehead.

Emily chuckles at the demanding toddler. "Silly me."

She leans down, kissing him on the forehead before following Alison out of the room. They head to the kitchen and Alison pours them each a glass of wine.

"You're so good with him."

"He's such a sweetheart. You have definitely done a good job raising him."

Alison smiles. "When my ex first left I was so worried. A newly single mom raising a toddler and working full time. I have made my fair share of mistakes."

"Every parent makes mistakes. You have a happy and healthy child and that is something to be proud of."

They move to the couch in the living room and sit down. Alison leans her head against Emily's shoulder and slips her hand into Emily's. Emily smiles and leans her head against Alison's. They stay like this for a while before Alison speaks.

"Stay with me tonight. It's late and we've been drinking."

Emily smiles to herself, knowing that it really isn't that late and she only had one glass of wine. "You don't need an excuse to ask me to stay over."

They make their way to Alison's bedroom, still hand in hand.

"Do you need any pajamas."

Emily pulls off her shirt and slips off her pants, leaving herself in a sports bra and boxers.

"I usually just sleep like this, if that's alright with you."

Alison looks her up and down, not even trying to hide the fact that she is checking Emily out.

"That is perfectly fine with me."

Alison changes into a pair of cotton shorts and a tank top. She feels Emily's eyes on her as she changes and she feels heat creep onto her cheeks. They slip under the covers, facing each other. Alison brings her hand up and tucks Emily's hair behind her ear, leaning in slowly. Emily closes the space between them and their lips meet soft and slow. Emily slips her arm around Alison, pulling her closer. Alison swipes her tongue across Emily's lower lip. Emily's lips part and their tongues dance, moving together rather than fighting for dominance. Emily moves to hover over Alison. Alison's hands tangle in Emily's hair. Emily pulls back for a moment.

"What are we doing here? I need to know."

"I love you, Emily. I don't want to pretend that I don't. I want you. I want to be with you. In every way."

"I love you too." Emily smiles and reconnects their lips.

The next morning, Emily cooks breakfast as Alison wakes Jesse up and gives him his bath. Emily is finishing up as they enter the kitchen. Jesse claps excited when he sees Emily.