Chapter Two

Alison drops off Jesse at preschool, giving him a hug and kiss goodbye.

"I'll see you after school buddy. Remember, you are strong. You are smart. You are kind."

"I am strong. I am smart. I am kind." He pats her cheek. "I love you, Mommy. Have a good day."

Alison smiles. "I love you too."

*******

Emily is kicking herself for snoozing her alarm for the third time. She grabs a coffee from a coffee stand right outside the school before heading inside, trying to rush and get to her class. She turns a corner and runs straight into the back of another teacher.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I'm not normally this much of a klutz."

The woman turns around and their eyes meet. Their hearts flutter.

"Emily? Emily Fields?"

"Alison Dilaurentis? Its been ages."

They share a hug.

"Don't worry about the coffee spill. Accidents happen. What are you doing here?"

"I'm the new swim coach. What about you?"

"AP Classical Literature." Alison is startled by the last bell. "I should get in there and start my lesson but meet me for lunch? It's so good to see you."

Emily smiles. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll see you at lunch."

*******

Alison tries hard to focus on her lesson but all she can think about is Emily. She felt it the moment their eyes met. That spark that they had at fourteen.

During her planning period, Alison calls Charlotte.

"Ali, is everything okay?"

"Emily's here."

"Fields?"

"Is there another Emily I'd be calling about in the middle of the morning?"

"Have you talked to her?"

"We're meeting at lunch. What do I say?"

"Alison, take a breath. Ask her how she is. Ask her about her life. Let her know that you missed her."

*******

Emily calls Hanna during her free period, right before lunch.

"Hanna, I'm nervous."

"Oooh is there a pretty lady working at the school?"

"Not a pretty lady. The pretty lady. Alison."

"Oh my God, Em. It's fate."

"What if she is with someone else?"

"How did she react when she saw you?"

"Happy. Despite the fact that I spilled hot coffee on her."

"Wow."

"I was running late. I quite literally ran into her. She happened to be around the corner and now she has coffee in her hair and I'm meeting her for lunch in 30 minutes." Emily groans. "It's been ten years and she still gives me butterflies."

"Em, take a beat. Just breathe. You were friends long before you dated. Talk to her about life. Catch up."

*******

Alison calms her nerves as she walks into the teachers lounge. She looks around and sees Emily sitting alone and smiles, walking over to her. She sits down in front of her, smiling.