Chapter 24 - You, just like heaven

Comincia dall'inizio

You understood that.

"I think I know who they are."

"Creepy murderer?" You inquired. Chishiya had told you that Sunato Banda, the guy that had given you the chills ever since the game started, was a murderer of four women. He had seen it on the papers before arriving to this world. So the guy was not just creepy, he was actually a psychopath who had committed actual femicide.

"No. The one with the bangs. Matsushita. My second option is Kotoko, the business woman."

There was something he knew that you were, clearly, not getting.

"I have to do something." The blonde man continued, still not letting go of you. "Do you want to stay here or do you want to come?"

You didn't want to suddenly encounter the Banda guy. Not if he thought he may have something to win by killing you. Chishiya said he... Actually, they wouldn't hurt you. But one of them was an actual killer, for heaven's sake.

"I'll go with you."

"Good. You will have to remain hidden."

"Why?"

"I need to pretend not to trust you."

Chishiya had told you once, twice, a hundredth time already that he was just playing a role and that he trusted you more than anyone in this world

Hearing him say the opposite was still painful, though.

"Say then... Will you tell me what my suit is?" You couldn't see very well from where you were, hiding behind a shelf full of sodas, milkshakes, and other beverages. "I really think she's the Jack. Why else would she have killed her partner?"

Matsushita didn't answer. You winced, remembering Ippei.

Chishiya kept speaking. "I'm in a really bad position now. She knows I will not tell her the truth but I have been in the same group as her from the beginning of the game, so she is the only one I can go ask. She will lie to me, and I will die." 

You would have added a little bit of drama, a little of bit of flair, a mournful sob here and there.

But still had to admire Chishiya's ability to lie.

"I also have seen the way your partner, Banda, looks at her. I think he will tell her the truth, if he can get something in return. Or that Yaba man... He does not look like the type of guy who would hesitate to change Kotoko for a younger, more beautiful girl."

Even in that situation, the fact that he called you beautiful gave you that fluttery feeling in your stomach. Infatuated much?

"Do you really think I can trust you?" Matsushita asked finally.

"Look, I don't want to die. And, even if she was not the Jack, wouldn't it be better for you to have more choices?"

"I can't trust you."

"I'm sure we will see who is right this round. Your suit is a spade." Chishiya turned around.

Matsushita was leaving, but just as he was crossing the door frame to abandon the room, he stopped. "Your's is a heart."

He was a lying, son of a... 

If it had been for him, the blonde man you were so deeply in love with, would have died.

You were not the kind of person to wish poor fortune on someone, but that man...

Chishiya looked in your direction, lifted one of his hand, holding a package of those cookies he liked and shook it. "Focus on the biscuits they are getting, remember." You assumed he was trying to say. You knew he couldn't hear nor see you, but still gave him an affirmative answer.

He had gotten the same ones this Kotoko girl would pick up afterwards, only a different flavor.

Chishiya had also tried to get into her head before, telling her how she looked really honest, that he didn't trust you and that he was scared of dying. And if please, please, pretty please she could tell him what his suit was, asking her straight away if it was a club or not.

She hadn't said anything at all, but at least didn't lie like Mr. Hiding-His-Face-With-Bangs.

You struggled to get out of your little hiding nook, the blonde man already next to you by the time you did.

"Did you notice?"

"They picked the same brand of cookies. One chose black package, the other chose red. What is the point..." And then you noticed. There were four different flavors: black, red, blue and green. You looked at Chishiya. "It's a code." 

You would literally die to see that look of pride directed at you more often. 

Okay, maybe not literally. But boy, did it make you feel good. 

"It is."

So it was, definitely, one of those two. 

He offered you one of his cookies, the ones he had claimed were the best of the best since the game started, and you munched on it, while you tried to organize your thoughts. You sat on a table, shoes on the corresponding bench.

He was right, they were really good.

"I'm impressed with how observant you are." You declared after a while, getting another cookie.

"Thank you." He simply shrugged, as if it was no big deal. "You can tell a lot about a person just by looking."

"If you didn't know me, and you saw me for the first time, what would you be able to deduce?"

He smirked and took a step back, so that he could see all of you.

"You are fiddling with the cookie you are about to eat, and also your nail polish is chipped, which tells me you are a nervous person." You tilted your head to one side, conceding.

"Continue."

"You keep the trunk of your body open and exposed. This means you feel comfortable around me."

"Aha."

"You lean in when I speak, then look at my lips and proceed to lick yours, which means you want to kiss me."

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." You told yourself while color rushed to your cheeks. 

Only the prize you won wasn't stupid, because Chishiya got closer to you and bent down to kiss you.

And it was a proper kiss this time.

Your mouths moved at the same rhythm, your hands lost deep within his hair, his hands in yours. You bit at his lower lip, he laughed, you laughed and went back to kissing. Your eyes were closed, your noses brushing against each other.

You didn't want it to be over, but all good things came to an end.

"Everyone, please enter a prison cell."

Chishiya grabbed your hand.

"Let's get it over with."