Chapter 3 - We rise, and shine, and crawl, and fall

Just like the moon does
We rise, and shine, and fall
Over you that I
Rise and shine and crawl
Victims, aren't we all?

"Chishiya, look!" You said, full of delight, holding a bottle of sriracha you had found while looking for something to eat in an abandoned supermarket. Was abandoned redundant? Maybe, yes, since there was no one in the city except for other players and you didn't really see many of them during the day. Only at night, and close to the game areas. "It's still full! No one got to it yet!"

You were met by a look that you interpreted as "Are you serious?" but that could mean anything from "You are really really stupid" to "I'm going to kill you." but you didn't care because in your opinion you had found a treasure and had it clear you were taking that bottle of the spiciest and most delicious sauce with you, no matter what happened. 

"I thought we were looking for food."

"This is food! I mean, well, no, not technically. This is..." You struggled with the word, frowning.

"Sauce? Condiment?"

"Maybe, I don't know what any of those mean." You shrugged, and he smirked. And when he smirked, you felt your knees became weak and you had to shake your head slightly to focus on the task at hand: your defense of the hot sauce. "The important thing is it will make our meals taste good, even if they don't. We could also just burn our taste buds with it and it will solve the lack of proper food in this god-forsaken land."

"Thinking about mutilating yourself now? I knew since your personality changed from night to day that you would have a mental breakdown eventually - didn't think it would happen so soon."

You stuck your tongue out, directed at him. He smirked again, and you knew that was the closest to making him laugh you would get, so it made you smile.

But he was right. You had become a completely different person since you had allied yourself with him... Or not so much, but you had become who you were before this world forced you to change. You were still playing the dumb, innocent girl in games when it was needed, either to learn information or to get help from someone more capable, but when you were not playing... You were nice again. You were soft. You were vulnerable, sweet and playful. You felt safe, or safer, and you liked having someone around you, even if it was Chishiya, who was the closest thing to a brick wall.

Little by little he had been opening up, though. Not much, you still did not know anything personal about him, or about his life prior to the Borderlands. But he did not longer asked you to shut up when you would ramble on about something you were passionate about, he even smirked and made jokes! Sometimes! Not many, but it seemed like today he was in a good mood, so you were hopeful.

Your smile felt as if it was glued to your face while you kept looking for food. You found some things - a can of beans here and there, instant ramen, water bottles - and put it all in your backpack.

That was another thing that had changed immensely. You no longer wore skimpy clothing - again, only to games, when needed - and had changed into much more comfortable clothing. Clothing one could survive the apocalypse in without flashing anyone.

"Are you ready?" Chishiya asked from the entrance of the shop. He probably had been waiting for you for a while, but that was another thing that had changed about him... He now would let you indulge in the little things that made you happy. Like going to the grocery store.

"Coming!" You exclaimed, cheerfully, as in song. Chishiya seemed amused by you and your good mood.

"Has anything happened that I don't know about?"