Chapter 2 - When I first saw you

When I first saw you
The end was soon
To Bethlehem it slouched and then
Must have caught a good look at you

Give your heart and soul to charity
'Cause the rest of you
The best of you
Honey, belongs to me

God, you were tired.

Tired of the games, tired of this world. Tired of watching people getting lasered, murdered, bludgeoned, stabbed and everything to death.

But you kept going, because you wanted to live and survival was the only thing in your mind. It was this way now and it had been this way for as long as you entered this awful awful world. You couldn't tell how many days it had been.

You combed your hair with your fingers, breathed in and out a couple of times, and cleaned your dirty face with the sleeve of the jacket you were wearing - that which belonged to the man who had "helped" you in his first game and who was now, of course, dead. Got a little bit too drunk and messed with the wrong people. Oops. You cannot say you cared, because you didn't, at all. It was horrifying to see another dead person, sure, even if that person was an awful bastard, but after a while you had grown kind of numb. That was surprising, you had always considered yourself a person easily governed by her own emotions.

Other people had helped you in posterior games, always feeling sorry for the girl who could not even understand the rules and using their pity to gain information or to get physical help in games that required strength or velocity. It was relieving to see there were still good people in this world, even if you could no longer consider yourself part of that group.

However, not many people wanted to keep together and be part of a team (who would, in a world where everyone is doomed to die, either by having your visa expired or in a bloody way during a game?), and therefore you needed someone who could help you in this game. Which could have explained your little outfit, a skirt that left nothing to the imagination and a t-shirt so form-fitting it could have been considered a second skin. You didn't particularly like it, but you looked eye-catching enough and that was what mattered. You hated yourself for doing this. For using people. For using whatever good-looks you might have had to manipulate. But wanted so, so much to survive...

You entered the very illuminated theme park, picked up the mobile phone laying on top of the table in front of you and for a second you were almost able to forget. You closed your eyes, lifted your head, and remembered going with your parents to theme parks when you were little and for just a fraction of time, you nearly smiled. But you didn't, because what had become the voice you hated the most in the world suddenly said, with that cheery awful tone "REGISTRATION CLOSED".

You looked around and saw that a guy had entered the park - or should you say, arena? Because something about all this reminded you of gladiators fighting to their death- right behind you. Blonde hair, handsome, around your height, no, maybe a bit taller, wearing a white hoodie. He was staring at your with his head tilted, a certain spark of curiosity in his brown eyes. Well, probably because you were just there, with your eyes closed, face towards the sky, breathing deeply and with a hint of a smile in your face. Most likely he thought you were crazy or very, very stupid.

"Hello..." You started in that broken English with a deep fake accent you used to seem naive and lost. But the spark of curiosity had dried out and he had already lost all interest in you, leaving you behind and getting closer to the actual area where the game would take place. You arched an eyebrow, cussed on your mother tongue and kept walking behind him. 

You got to an area where there were approximately 19 people (21 if you counted yourself and the guy in the white hoodie), examined it, and tried not to show disappointment when you realized most of the people around you looked as scared and as lost as you felt deep inside. Maybe your luck was drying out and playing stupid would not work this time. Either way, you needed to play or you would get lasered so...