Chapter 1 - Anti-hero

It must be exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero.

You had been living in Tokyo for less than a year when you found yourself in the Borderlands.

Luckily, you spoke Japanese quite well because you had studied it since you were a teenager, having been a fan of manga and anime from a young age - which was what lead you to look for exchange studies in Japan. It was expensive, and your good grades only managed to get you a scholarship that covered close to half of it, but your parents were supportive enough that even though you came from a middle-class family, you were able to fulfill your dream. 

But suddenly, every single person in the city disappeared just as you were coming out of a coffee shop.

After crying, sobbing and screaming hysterically for what seemed like hours, you found a fancy office building where power had not been shut off. You approached it visibly confused but eager to find someone, something, that would explained what had just happened.

There was a single phone left in a table by the entrance, with a sign saying "PICK ONE!" behind them. First thing you thought was that you could probably use it to call your parents. Surely whatever was affecting Tokyo couldn't have reached your home country, right? You ran towards it, but when you picked it up, the phone lit up and you found only two apps were available: GAME and VISA, no signal whatsoever. What kind of cruel joke was this? Maybe if you went to the highest floor...

You climbed the stairs, because what else could you do? 

You arrived at the twentieth floor to find that it was filled with people, maybe 10 or 11, who eyed you either suspiciously or with something that resembled... fear? Why? You opened your mouth to talk, grabbing a young girl by her arm, too scared to demand answers politely...

REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED.

The voice startled you and you looked around, trying to find the source of it. 

"What the..." You started in your native tongue, seeing the girl whose arm you were holding started to cry. What was this?

The voice continued to explain the rules of a game. Simple, really, a game of logic but you were never too good at those and the language barrier was really something you started to worry about because - what if you were missing a certain clue? Also, you had 30 minutes to solve it, individually as you each had to give an answer in a separate room, otherwise, it would be GAME OVER. Okay, so you would lose a stupid game? If you won, would you get clues as to what was going on?

A 40-year old man came close, with a sly smile, looking at your from head to toe. He licked his lips before he asked, in Japanese, "Poor girl, you probably don't understand anything of what's going on, huh?" You looked at him, careful, unsure of whether you should show him that you actually understood everything that he was saying, as well as what was going on. "You don't wanna die, do you?" 

Sweat was running down your spine. "What do you mean die?" you wanted to ask, but preferred keeping quiet, wanting to see how the situation unfolded before doing anything. The man in front of you was also not making you feel comfortable, quite the opposite. Just as the thoughts were running through your head and you were starting to feel the panic settling in, a young woman around your age went into one of the office rooms, confidently, apparently to give an answer, but you could not hear it - maybe the rooms were soundproof?

Blood splashed the office window. 

You wanted to scream, but were too shocked to do anything. How was she killed? Something or someone must have been inside the room with her... It was not until later that you would find out you had to give your answer with a gun pointed directly to your face. 

Nausea overcame any feeling you could have possibly felt, and you had to throw up. Afterwards, while cleaning your mouth with the back of your hand, you looked at the man, who now was laughing maniacally,  and spoke in the most broken English you could manage. "Sir, I don't want to die... I don't understand... Can you please help me?" The smile he gave you told you he would indeed help you, but only for a price. You were absolutely disgusted.

But you were going to get through this, no matter what. 

No point acting like a hero with your life on the line.