Chapter 22

"Help me?" Hae-jin scoff through gritted teeth, sweat beginning to drip from her temple down the side of her head, turning red because of the blood that sticks on her face, "You're not supposed to help me."

"Why? Is it because you didn't expect me to do something to actually help someone?" Nam-ra answered back, "I'm not that selfish."

"Sure, you're not," Hae-jin said sarcastically, "You never went out of your way to help anyone even after knowing that you could be like Gwi-nam who has unbelievable strength and is invisible to zombies."

"But I helped you yesterday even though I wasn't infected yet." Nam-ra pointed out, "You can't just ground yourself in something that hasn't happened yet."

"What makes you do it?" Hae-jin asks, pure interest laces her voice.

The two of them are having conversations like they weren't facing a hoard of zombies as the barrier between them is near to collapse.

"We were never friends. I was the reason why everyone in our class doesn't like you." she continued when she received no response from the former.

Nam-ra smiles bitterly, remembering the trouble she underwent when Hae-jin decided to ruin her image in school– well, not directly her but her so-called friends, when she accused her of stealing her wallet. It was a huge set-up but still, Hae-jin initiated the initial hate.

Both of them were victims of that time, only the other one did more wrong than the former.

"People's attitude and preconceived opinions towards one another could be affected by the people surrounding them but they still have their own mind. It might be a factor but still, they hated me even before you accused me of stealing from you. They just have more reason to become outright about their prejudices. I'm used to people hating me just because I'm more capable than them," Nam-ra explained as she strains her muscles even more, more random objects falling from the top, "It's not like I care anyway. They're nothing but a blur in my whole life."

The barrier finally collapsed, ending their conversation abruptly as the stack up furniture fell down on them. Nam-ra was quick to swat the falling objects, her new found extreme strength aiding her as she steps away from the wreckage.

Hae-jin, on the hand wasn't blessed with hambie's enhanced strength, "Fucking Hell," she cursed, still holding on the cabinet as the zombies literally hang their dead weight on the back of the cabinet, "This might be the right time for your help."

Nam-ra didn't speak, grabbing the edge of the cabinet to lift it off rather effortlessly. Some zombies stopped to investigate them but went out of their way after sniffing them a couple of times. Some even stop and growl at them when they are speaking, being attracted to the noise they are making but sensing that they weren't food so they walk past them.

"Were you bitten or scratched too?" Nam-ra asks, watching the zombies stagger away from them after a couple seconds of analyzing them.

"No." Hae-jin sounds too defensive for her liking.

"Maybe, you were really the cure." Nam-ra mumbled to herself but since she's standing beside Hae-jin, the latter heard it loud and clear.

"Were you considering it?" she asks, referring to her earlier statement.

Nam-ra shrugs cryptically, "Maybe."

Hae-jin decided to shrug it off for a moment as there are more pressing matters that they need to attend to, "Gwi-nam will attack them– or is fighting them right at this moment. We have to follow them now."

Nam-ra did not answer but there's enough tacit agreement between them that they move in unison, running out of the music room while shoving some zombies aside.