ꜱᴜʀᴘʀɪꜱᴇ, ꜱᴜʀᴘʀɪꜱᴇ.

May 16th, ????

Aegan hasn't spoken a word to Landon since the heated argument from the day before. This was something surprisingly new to him. Because of these murders, Landon and Aegan are walking the path that those old detectives did, insanity. It was going slow, but swiftly. 

The old Aegan Evergreen never would've thought that these cases would take him to such extreme levels, and as soon as Aegan noticed this when the day started, he would try to do anything to stop that.

Aegan still had half an hour and before the new detective arrived, that's enough time to find Landon, apologize, do a daily check over updates, and prepare their coffee. (Coffee is obligatory on a Tuesday morning.)

After this quick analysis of what to do, Aegan rushed towards the elevator like never before, and as soon as the 'ding' from it was hearable enough, Aegan found himself in front of the sliding doors, waiting impatiently.

Landon rose from the now-open elevator, just to be met with an intense gaze from Aegan. A "Good morning..?" was the only thing Landon could mutter at the situation in front of him.

"Yeah yeah hello, hey I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about yesterday, I should have asked what your opinion was. It's that these cases are driving me crazy,"

Landon looked flabbergasted for a second, before composing himself and catching up.

"Don't worry man. I also shouldn't have reacted so harshly"

Both of them smiled in unison before Aegan quickly explained the plan, and the running began again, but this time to the investigation room, where they were greeted by a friendly-looking officer. "Good morning you two, like always, your report is on the table, and the coffee maker, mugs included, is on the desk," Landon nodded and sprung towards the room meanwhile Aegan quickly mumbled "Thank you Oniria" before entering the room.

Aegan and Landon got themselves organized, Aegan made coffee for the both of them, meanwhile Landon started checking the list of updates on the case, which were just new suspects to add to the long list. 12 minutes afterwards, Both mugs were finished and everything was up to date, they had exactly 18 minutes left to get ready to welcome the new detective with a smile that didn't look forced, and a look that didnt show their lack of sleep.

First impressions are key to detectives, it defines trust and collaboration. So if they meet this detective looking like they didn't get sleep in the last 48 hours, that won't be a great start, would it? Yet the investigation room wasn't the best place to do that, so they left for the locker room, and got their 'glow up session' started.

4 minutes left on the clock, and the duo finally left the locker room, looking brand new. Aegan was the first one to enter the investigation room, with Landon following and Oniria could have sworn that those two were brand new if it wasnt for their actions.

As soon as the elevator ding was heard, the co-workers fixed the last minute details of the room and were prepared to meet the newcomer. A heel tap was being heard, getting closer and closer to their location. A silhouette appeared on the door's window, and the next noise was utter silence.

Landon was about to ask if there was any problem to enter the room but then, a knock on the door interrupted him. Aegan muttered a low "Come in!" before the doors shot wide open, revealing a.. woman?

No, this wasn't any lady, Landon knew her, he had forgotten everything from the night before during all this but he was sure that this lady met him before. Aegan's speaking was unhearable to Landon, he was lost.

"Landon, meet Detective Lynn Dior, who just got assigned here from the main HQ,"

Oh no.

Memories suddenly flooded his mind, from leaving the headquarters to going to sleep in his home. "Lynn." Landon mumbled, in an entire state of shock. His new "chief" literally saw him trying to get wasted (yet failing miserably) in a bar the night before.

 Lynn smirked at his sudden reaction and replied. "Landon Partridge. Told ya I would see you soon." Aegan just stared at the sudden scene before him with plain confusion plastered on his face.

"You two know each other?" 

"Yes" 

"No." 

....

"No" 

"Yes." 

....

In a state of defeat, Aegan sighed.

"I will guess you do." 

Landon was still in quite shock at the fact that Lynn was the one directing the case. Questions swarmed his head, How was she here? How come her name didn't ring any bells yesterday? Is this a coincidence? Did she know that he was going to work under her and thats why she said 'See you soon'? Or is it about anything else as well?

Yet the only thing he could do was nod through the talking.

Aegan explained the entire case with all the misleads and everything to Lynn so that they could get started immediately with no obstacles, yet she interrupted him. "And what's the thing that connects every case? How do we know that you two haven't been piled up with cas-" Landon stood up. "Because all of the murders happened with the same type of poison and weapon. The victims all get poisoned first with a derivation of cyanide on a drink that takes a little bit of time to take effect, then they are cornered in an alley and get stabbed with the same dagger." He blurted. Guess his tongue got out of the cats grip huh?

Lynn smiled at that description and kept her mouth shut for the rest of the time while Aegan continued talking.

Any other person would've said that Landon was acting really strange in this situation, after all, it was really  just a coincidence, but what really threw him off to have that behavior is the way that she knew she was going to meet him, she probably saw his file but.. why ask his name then? He tried to brush it off because it sounded small and mere but he couldn't. The idea that it could've been a prank suddenly popped in his head, and he finally dropped it. But his trust issues didn't.

I guess you never know. Or do you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of Chapter Two

Signed,

The Narrator