Chapter Forty Six

Start from the beginning

“God, will you two shut up?” Zayn chuckled playfully at his sisters, as he slipped his mobile phone into his jean pockets.

“Zayn, we’re only going to the park, it’s not like we’re going to a fashion show or something.” Waliyha quickly retorted, which made Safaa burst into giggles.

“He looks like a chav anyway.” Safaa laughed, and Zayn looked over them both with his eyebrows raised.

“I will lock you both in the wardrobe. I’ve done it once, I’ll do it again.” Zayn threatened, a smirk slipping onto his face as their faces started to droop and frown. Safaa would dramatically sigh and fold her arms.

“Alright, alright, we get it, we’ll go in the wardrobe.” She huffed, and Zayn gave her a warning look, before he slipped out of his room. He walked, quietly, along the landing before he arrived at his Mother’s bedroom door. He did the same as he did with the girls, and gently tapped on it before slowly opening it and poking his head around the door.

As he looked into the dimly lit room, he saw how his Mother and her growing baby tummy were curled up in the pile of soft looking blankets and duvets on the bed. Her eyes were closed, her hand on her forehead, probably due to one of her migraines, caused by either too many, or in this case, lack of accessible pills. He’d walked into her bedroom many times before, but for some reason it still made him nervous to see her like this. He edged over to her, and bent down next to where her head was on the pillow. This was the scariest bit of it all, waking her up. Sometimes he had visions where she wouldn’t wake up. A shiver always shot down his spine when he thought about that particular thought, and this occasion was no different.

“Mum…Muma?” He spoke softly, reaching over and stroking the dark hair from her face. Her forehead was fairly warm, and he watched as her eyelids started to flicker open slowly.

“Zaynie? Is that you?” She asked quietly, and Zayn almost flinched at the use of ‘Zaynie’. Ever since Alex had used it, it had haunted him.

“It’s me, Mum. Are you feeling okay?” He asked her and she smiled lovingly at him, reaching her hand out to the side of his face.

“I’m getting by. I’ll be alright once I get some rest, just some rest.” She told him, even though Zayn knew that she had been resting for the last two days, and that this really wasn’t a question of how well rested she was.

“Okay Mum. I’m taking the girls to the park…Dad’s downstairs, but he’s fast asleep and drunk, I don’t think he’ll bother you, but if anything kicks off, just ring me, and I’ll be right here, okay?” Zayn told her, and she nodded and smiled at him.

“Thank you, son.” She spoke, before giving him a tender kiss on his temple and releasing him from her grip. Zayn stood up; glancing to make sure that the house phone was on her bedside table, before leaving his Mother’s bedroom, and going back in search of the girls. They were sat on his bed, looking bored of waiting for Zayn.

“Alright, let’s go.” He spoke up, and Waliyha quickly rushed to him.

“Pick me up, Zayn, please.” She whispered, her wide brown eyes looking up at him pleadingly. He nodded and pulled his sister to his hip, before grabbing Safaa’s hand and pulling her along. Waliyha couldn’t walk around the house on her own when their Father was in the house. When he was at home, Waliyha was practically glued to Zayn. It was a sad part of their life now. Zayn quietly ushered the girls through the house and out of the front door, shutting it behind him quietly, before following his sisters off to the park.

“Zayn, please, I don’t want to be on my own right now, please come to my house?” The Irish voice of Niall Horan begged down Zayn’s phone. Zayn sighed and rubbed his temples. He was sat on the edge of the bench at the park. He had been pushing Safaa and Waliyha on the swings until his phone had started to ring. At first though he had thought it was his Mother, but instead, it was his upset best friend with another problem to add to everything else going on.