Chapter 46 - Long Days Ahead

Start from the beginning

"Runner laws?" Lou tilted her head. "I ain't never heard of that."

Everyone in the kitchen glanced around at each other in shock.

"You weren't told about the runner laws?" Reese asked, sitting in the chair beside Lou. "Seven years ago, laws were passed that gave safe haven to any wolf running from their pack because of rejection or abuse. They're not to be considered rogues unless they've turned wild and should be allowed to join the pack or be sent to a pack of their choice. We take in any wolf in those situations and offer them sanctuary."

Lou seemed shocked and squinted at Reese, lifting her nose to sniff at him again.

"Ain't never heard of such a thing," Lou said, finally. "Any wolf coming onto Silver Thorn lands is thrown to prison or enslaved to work for the pack."

"Oh, goddess," Adam said, staring in horror at Reese. "How many runners trying to get to us were caught by them?"

"I was," Mavi said softly. "I was trying to come here but didn't make it."

"Well, you're here now," Finn said, putting his arm around Mavi's shoulders and pulling her gently to him. "And you'll never be hurt again, and we'll protect you always."

"Always," Harper repeated, smiling at Mavi.

"I'm going to interview the young wolves myself," Reese said. "Mom said they've mostly all sworn they're fine and haven't been mistreated, but I'm starting to doubt that."

Then Reese turned to Matt.

"Would you mind helping out with that?" Reese asked. "A siren command is not as harsh as an alpha command, you can ask them to be honest, and they'll have to without realizing they've been commanded."

Before Matt could answer, Lou was out of her chair and hobbling toward him. She was surprisingly fast for someone so old and decrepit. She stood before him, sniffing like crazy, even leaning into him until her nose grazed his t-shirt.

"Never thought I'd meet one of the sea people," Lou said after a moment. "What are you doing here amongst the wolves?"

"You know about sirens?" Harper asked in shock.

"I know about a lot of things," Lou snorted before she hobbled back to her seat. "I been on this earth for a long time. I remember the old ways and the old knowledge."

"How old are you, Lou?" Finn asked.

"I was born in 1846," Lou answered, and everyone in the room gaped at her.

"You're almost two hundred years old?" Dana asked, then looked at Harper. "How is that possible?"

"Werewolves have long lives. We normally make it to at least one hundred twenty," Harper answered. "But we have the potential to live much longer. We just don't because of our culture and lifestyles. If we didn't get killed fighting, got more regular healthcare, and ate healthier food, we would live centuries. But pack wars and lack of care kill us before we reach those ages."

The others looked around at each other in shock. They'd had no idea a werewolf could live so long.

"Sirens generally live at least two centuries unless we're killed by something," Matt said. "I'd say Eva and Charo are at least two hundred fifty years old. They've made sure to avoid the open ocean for a while and have stayed near places where sirens live on land, and they can seek sanctuary if they are in danger."

"Wow," Tosha said. "I would have thought they were maybe in their mid-eighties."

"Me too," Porter said, shaking his head. "That's crazy. What about Enna? Is she that old?"