Chapter Three: The Admission Test

"Ryan! Why aren't you ready yet?" echoed his mother's voice outside the closed door.

"Yes, I'm done, mom. Just wait a bit longer..." It was a shame for Ryan to take more time dressing up than his mother, but today he was a bit too nervous. He had put on his best clothes, with a tie (what would the teachers think if he went there all shaggy?). He searched for his other white sock, as he had found only one. He found both of the black ones but couldn't find the other white sock, so he put on both the black socks and opened the door. He didn't try combing his hair; he knew it wouldn't work.

Today was the day of the admissions test for Magicademia, and this was the only chance to be a spellcaster out of the ordinary Ryan Caster, as it's not allowed to attend an exam more than once in Magicademia.

"What took so long?" said his mother, beaming as usual while Ryan came out of his room, "You're not going to impress girls, are you? You're just going to attend a test."

"Yes, mom, I know. Just a test." Ryan said shyly, trying to tidy his usually ruffled hair with his hand even though he knew it wouldn't work.

He and his mother came out of the house gate after locking the house door and the gate. Mother said, "We shall take a Wickey's boat now—it can take us Gregory Street, near Magicademia. "No boat goes to Magicademia directly."

Ryan nodded.  Magicademia has its own school boat, but before admission, students have to go there by themselves.

By the way, in Esoterico, boats take the place of buses and cars. The boats float in the air by magic. Once the boats are constructed, anyone can drive them, magic or not.

A Wickey's Boat went by, but it wasn't going that way to Gregory Street. Wickey's Boats are large double-decker boats invented by a man named William Wickey 170 years ago.

The next Wickey's boat was on the right route, so Ryan and his mom caught this one. They entered the boat—what a neat boat this was. The floor is covered by carpets, and the seats are cozy. The walls are clean.

The first floor didn't have empty seats, so they went to the second floor. Ryan can go anywhere all alone now, but the rule is to take one guardian along to the admission test in Magicademia.

The boat was mostly full of examinees with their mother or father. Ryan and his mother went to the very back side of the second floor of the boat. A couple of seats were available there, as though just waiting for them. Another couple of seats were beside the empty ones, and sitting on one of them was—

"Aunt Martha!" gasped Ryan.

Aunt Martha and her daughter Laura, who was Ryan's cousin, were sitting in the seats. Aunt Martha was the sister of Ryan's mother. She looked vividly like her sister and was approximately six years older than her. Though Aunt Martha had light blue skin and golden hair longer than that of her sister, On the other hand, Laura had a good height but was shorter than her cousin, Her face with brown eyes and tight lips resembled her father, Riley Diggins, the forest officer of Aracounis; the light blue skin and curly golden hair resembled her mother, though Laura's skin was lighter...

Aunt Martha welcomed Ryan with a hug. Then she did the same with her sister. They both were pleased to see each other after a long time, even though they had been the source of money for Ryan and his mother since Ryan's father died. Ryan's mother was unemployed, though she often tried to get a job. 

However, Ryan met his cousin often. They both read at the same school.

Aunt Martha said, "Laura, give room for your aunt—you better share seats with Ryan."

"Yes, mom."  Laura stood to give Ryan's mother room to sit with her sister.

Ryan and Laura sat on the remaining seats. Ryan's seat was beside the window. Through the window, Carrillo Street was visible right now.