Chapter 49: Grown Up

Start from the beginning

Then at once, Maria attacks the first blow, and the fight begins.

They both move fluidly, arcs gliding through the air, quick strikes combined with swift attacks, so fast that any onlooker could hear the staff whistling through the air.

Maria whips at Y/N's feet, and Y/N leaps into a graceful backflip, straightening with a grin.

Perfect dodge.

Maria scowls.

She lunges for an overhead strike, but Y/N ducks in time and whips her own attack at her feet, which Maria avoided with a cartwheel.

Y/N smirks.

The staff twirls in her hand, as she brings it down in an overhead strike to knock Maria off her feet, but the girl beats her to it and swipes at where Y/N least expected her to, her neck.

Y/N falls on the mat on her back, unable to defend herself.

Maria stood triumphantly over her, smiling in victory.

"I won."

Y/N smiles, panting from the heavy exercise.

"Anything to say on your defeat, yet again?" Maria chides her.

"In my defense, I went easy on you," Y/N says solemnly, but both the girls burst into laughter.

It was always like this. Y/N could beat Maria at anything, even UNO, but at quarterstaff, Maria was the queen for years.

"Do you remember the last time we fought?" Maria asked her.

"Oh god not that one," Y/N took her head in her hands, laughing hysterically.

The room filled with laughter as the two friends reminisced about the time before, when everything was simple and not so life and death as it had become now.

||

Jimin sighs as he opens up another footage of the cafe.

He and Jungkook, both were drying their eyeballs searching for some face or identity that could help them figure out who posted the blog.

The blog had revealed one of their safe house addresses, but thankfully police had informed them about to blog and had it taken down before people could find out about it. If anyone had ever found out about it, the police were in real trouble with the Song Gang.

The reason everyone was tensed was how did the attacker find out about their safe house?

Jimin willed his eyes to stay open as the footage played itself, and still, he could not see anyone suspicious. They were debating on whether they should run a background check on the three people or not, because either they would be taking the right step or wasting their efforts and resources on a fake lead.

Jungkook, too, drank his fourth cup of coffee as he fast-forwarded through the footage from the camera situated in one corner of the cafe, which showed a side view of all the tables.

He pushed his computer glasses on his nose as his eyes tracked each and every movement in the cafe.

But all they could find was people playing games or sending an email somewhere, nothing suspicious till now.

Sighing, Jungkook clicked on the next footage.

Halfway through, as his eyes were about to close themselves and let him call this a day, he saw a face in the corner.

Looking straight at the camera, as if taunting it.

Jungkook's eyes snapped open, fingers instinctively rewinding the footage to see the moment again.

To convince himself it wasn't real.

That his heartbeat had raised not because he saw a familiar face in the crowd.

That what he saw was not real.

But alas, it was there.

The same face.

Which they had given hope of ever seeing again.

Sure, he was a little grown up, his eyes were now more prominent, and his hair was now different, longer than it used to be. His lips were no longer the pouty petals they used to be, they were now set in a firm line. All the softness gone, his face was now all sharp angles and lines.

The frozen frame on the screen showed a face that instilled a feeling of love, affection, fear, concern, anger, hatred, all together mashed into a complex bundle of emotions.

"Jimin Hyung..." Jungkook called out.

"Did you find anything, Jungkook-ah? What is it?" The chair came sliding near Jungkook as Jimin pushed it around instead of getting up and walking over.

"What did you-" Jimin's eyes widened more than humanly possible as he saw the screen, and he fumbled for words.

"How- Why- When- What the fuck?" Was the only tangible coherent sentence he could form at the moment.

Because staring at them from the screen was Song Youngsoo, Y/N's twin brother who had died six years ago in front of their eyes.

||

Vote for President Namjoon.