|35| The accusations

Start from the beginning

"That's not what I meant, you are blowing this out of proportion." He is still calm.

"Am I? Because if I remember correctly it's Matteo who is in prison for the crimes he committed not Carlos, yet for you who is still the bad one. But I guess he always was, you never talked about Carlos the way you did about Matteo." I'm definitely making everything worst but I can't shut up.

"You seem really upset about this." He also stands up from the sofa. "Why do you feel the need to protect him so much? Or care about what I think of him?"

"Because he has never done anything to you, you have no right to judge him." I walk away from him and run my hand through my hair trying to calm down.

"Mia... you are walking through a very dangerous path." He says in a tone of warning. "Whatever it's going between you two has to stop before it gets out of control and there's no way back anymore."

He isn't listening, that's not the way I wanted this to go.

"You know why I said everything I said and what it meant. Stop changing the meaning of my words to try and prove your point." I know he doesn't mean to hurt me he is trying to protect me in the way he knows best but I'm not a kid anymore.

"There's no need for me to prove my point, he already hurt you, Mia, you are here, crying, not because of Mason but because of him." This time he also elevates his voice. "Doesn't that tell you enough?"

"I'm not a kid, I can make my own decisions," I say loud and clear.

He shakes his head and walks closer, looking down at me. He is mad, I can tell by how hard he is clenching his jaw trying not to shout.

"I know you can, I'm just warning you that you are making the wrong one." He mutters slowly. "You want to be with him? I'm not going to stop you but if you are already hurt imagine how worst it can get."

"He didn't mean to hurt me, he is not like that!" I shout my hands tightened into fists.

With that, instead of getting more irritated, he seems to calm down and his gaze softens just so slightly. As if he finally listened and let my words get to him.

"I know that Mia, that's what I'm trying to tell you. I know he cares about you, what he did proves that but it's the way he acts that scares me. He may not want to purposely hurt you but he isn't like us, he isn't like you, he sees the world very differently and he responds to it in very particular ways. Ways that can hurt you if you get too close." Now he is back to being calm.

Deep down I know he is right, that Carlos and I are polar opposites, that the way he thinks, the way he acts is not even remotely close to the way I do but that doesn't mean it can't work. He helped me, in ways no one else but him could have, he made me feel safe, wanted and understood. That's what's it's important to me.

And I'm willing to risk getting hurt if it means I get to feel how I feel with him for as long as it lasts.

"He deserves an opportunity, everyone does," I add in a whisper.

"I really hope you are right about that, believe me. But I fear you may not be." My dad says right when my phone rings.

Taking my phone to check if it's Carlos I find it's an unknown number but take it anyway so I can get out of this conversation.

"Am I speaking with María Rodríguez?" The unknown person who is probably a man asks.

"Yes," I reply scared.

"This is Mark Grey, Manhattan's district attorney, I'm in charge of Mason Castillo's case. I would like to know if we could meet up to make you some questions regarding your past relationship with the defendant."

And the feared moment has arrived.

Author's note

As always if you are here ty for reading and don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

Things got a little heated but at least Mia knows where she stands in everything. She won't let her dad bash her man.

And even if she is not ready to go back to him yet, not after that call but she will be.

Opinion about what Mia's father said?

Next chapter will be in Carlos' pov, any guesses of how he will take this...

Ly all,
Maria