|35| The accusations

Start from the beginning

"I wish she were here... it's been so long and in moments like this, I still crave her. Her hugs." I was just a kid when she died but I would never forget how her hugs felt.

"I wish she were here too, every day. She always knew how to make someone feel better. It was like a superpower." His voice has that painful tone that comes every time we talk about her.

When I was younger I would ask my dad everything about her, from what were her favorite hobbies to if he thought she would like the dress I was wearing that day. And he would always reply but as I got older I started to understand how painful it was for him to talk about her. Especially how hard it was when he had to answer for her. He was raising me alone and even if he did an amazing job I always felt that absence, he tried so hard to be both of my parents, give me two perspectives but that's impossible.

"So do you, Dad." He did an amazing job and being a single parent isn't easy.

"Thank you, honey." He finally cheers a little. "Would you mind telling me what happened now?" He tries again.

"They didn't call me if that's what you are asking," I say trying to get away from the conversation.

"That's not it and you know it." He shakes his head. "What did he do?"

"Who?" I ask looking down at my nails.

I know he won't buy it, I can't lie to him. He is like a human lie detector (another quality he says it's necessary for being a doctor) but I don't know if I can talk about this with him.

"Come on Mia, I know you. What happened between you and Carlos?" This time he goes directly to the point.

"He knows... about Mason." I decide to go with the truth but skip the big messy part. "And before you say anything I know I'm not supposed to share my life with patients it just happened. I was having a hard day and he was there."

My dad stays silent for a second thinking about what I just said and making his mind up about the situation.

"I'm guessing he is the one behind this." He quickly ties everything together.

"I told him to let it go, I didn't even mention Mason's name," I explain.

"That wouldn't stop him, he can find anyone he proposes himself to find, what I'm surprised about is that Mason isn't dead." He says way more casually than he should.

"Dead? You think he is capable of killing someone?" I know their family business isn't exactly legal or ethical but killing someone? Could he really do that?

"A man like him is capable of anything, Mia. I told you, he might not be a bad person but he is damaged. That boy, he lost everything, his mother, his wife, his leg, and now his brother. It's people like him, who have nothing to lose that are the most dangerous." I try not to react but I would be lying if I said his words don't hurt me. Does he really see him that way? As a lost cause.

"He is not a monster dad," I say not willing to let him talk about him that way.

"I'm not saying he is but getting involved with a man like him isn't what you need." This is where he truly wanted to get to.

It's always this.

"If you think so low of him why is it that you let me work as his nurse?" I elevate my voice a little, something he definitely notices.

"Matteo asked for help and his family did a lot for us." He replies calmly.

"Matteo needed help, not Carlos? You really don't hide who is your favorite out of them." I say in disbelief as I get up from the sofa.