046. the return

NOVEMBER 2022

NOVEMBER 2022.

ADDICTION IS THE DEATH of us all. More as, the ones of us who let it consume us. The ones of us that say 'no fuck that I'm not addicted.' The ones of us that consider ourselves 'constant users' rather addicts. Because it's a scary word, it's a word filled with depth. It's taught to us to scare us out of drugs or drinking or sex. That's why D.A.R.E.'s a thing, it's a begging of the prevention of addiction.

The closest thing Hailee Steinfeld ever got to addiction was her devotion to Daphne Ryder. A short-term yet infamous relationship ended tragically far too soon for anyone's liking. The chokehold Daphne Ryder grasped her in was like no other. It didn't matter what she did, how she acted, what she said — Hailee would always come back to the infamous star. The sleazy woman with an attitude problem.

But that was over two years ago, two years ago since Hailee fell to the floor in a dark pain. She could almost feel the salty tears streaming down her cheeks as she sat in pure confusion. The night had been a dark memory — one she'd shoved in the back of her mind. That she only remembered whenever she felt a tear slip down her face. The romance ended suddenly and Daphne Ryder was like a drug to take in moderation. Hailee disobeyed, she nearly overdosed on her. So when the romance came to the end, her heart was ripped in half.

A part of her died that day. The part of her that lived life like she was told to live it like. With caution as if she would die the next day if she did anything out of her limits. But when she lost the person who drove her out of her comfort zone, she decided to release her inner rocker. Now she wasn't pleasing groupies with wine bottles or doing heroin — she wasn't that Daphne Ryder. But she did find herself swallowing her anxiety and useless apologies. She stood up for herself and stopped acting like the world had some rule book she needed to live by.

That leads us to her next chapter. The one without Daphne Ryder... one with a new lover. It shocked her that the pages kept turning despite the rockstar not being there.

The new Hailee tried to not care about the public's perception of her. Not so much anyways. This is why she openly expressed her sexuality months ago when introducing her new girlfriend, Ella. Something she felt she needed to do if she wanted this relationship to last. She took the reigns and found herself in love. For the first time since the last...

This now brings us to the present day. November 2022, a month of preparation for a soon event. One full of love and bliss — like it should've been for them.

The approaching New York winter was a pure invitation of darkness for Hailee. Her Californian self found the months troubling and viewed fifty degrees as nearing frostbite. A warm coffee cup rested in her hand as she watched over the city. It was afternoons like these that she understood why Daphne loved the city so much. Despite the weather, the busy streets and the busy people were one. They all had someplace to be or treasured someplace to be. It was always interesting to view the sights of such an interesting place.