Chapter 13: Dancing with Mr. Todd

May 11, 1880

With the masquerade ball growing closer and closer with each passing day, my anxiety only grew greater and greater. 

I don't know why I feel anxious about it. 

I went with a scarlet red and black lace theme for my outfit.

I have my new gloves, shoes, mask, dress, jewelry, and fan that I bought yesterday with Mrs. Love, er, Nellie. 

I guess I'm not used to calling her that yet.

Why do I feel nervous about going to this? Would it even be right for me to go? 

Maybe I just needed to refresh myself with dancing. That must be it. 

These thoughts and so much more plagued my mind throughout the entire day as I worked.

Toby even asked if I was feeling alright; he said I looked a little pale and that I should sit down or lie down in the parlor if I wasn't feeling well. 

I smiled at the sweet boy and shook my head. "I'll be fine, Toby. I just need to finish today's chores. You best go help Mrs. Lovett with the customers." I said.

He nodded and went straight for Mrs. Nellie. force of habit

Maybe if I danced for a little while, I could not only practice but also forget about life for a short time.
My nanny used to tell me that dancing is a different way of talking to people, but it's also an excellent distraction from the troubles of the world.
And I am in desperate need of a distraction.

According to the grandfather clock in the parlor, which I am in currently, it is 8:30 p.m. Nellie will most likely be sending Toby to bed any minute now.
Now seems like a good time to dance; I shall write more tomorrow.
Goodnight!
~Love, Catherine

Author's Perspective:

Catherine set down her pencil and journal on the sofa beside her before standing up.
She then walked over to a dark mahogany shelf and pulled out a flat disk that read, "Midnight Waltzes with Your Love." She placed it on a phonograph that was in a corner of the room and cranked it up until it began to play on its own.
Catherine took a deep breath of relief and closed her eyes before she began to dance and sway to the rhythm of the music.
Meanwhile, upstairs, Sweeney held the picture of his wife and daughter while sitting in his infamous chair.
Guilt weighed itself upon his shoulders as he stroked the edges of the frame tenderly.
For the first time in months, he felt guilty. And for what? for falling for another woman who wasn't his beloved Lucy.
If Lucy were here, what would she have said? What would she think of her now deceitful husband?

"I'm a weak man, my love. I don't know what to do. I already declared my feelings for her in a poem and a necklace. That's more than what I gave you on our first wedding anniversary.
I am sorry, my dear... and Johanna. My pet, please forgive your fool of a father.
For his sin is greater than any man should ever commit... " he said to the picture as if it could talk back.

His thoughts were interrupted by the faint sound of music coming from downstairs. He growled in frustration and closed the picture roughly before standing and placing it on his vanity.
Sweeney marched downstairs while grumbling, "If I've told that bloody baker once, I'll tell her a hundred times to keep that blasted noise off at eight!"
When he got to the parlor, he was surprised to see that the person with the music on wasn't Mrs. Lovett but instead the very woman who had won his heart but had no idea that she had it.
Catherine danced with all the grace and poise of a queen, except for the fact that she had constant clumsy footing while moving, making her more awkward than elegant.
She was completely unaware of his presence in the doorway until two hands joined her in her waltz.
She opened her eyes and gasped to see who it was, "Mr. Todd?  I didn't know you could dance. Also, I'm sorry if I turned the music too loud."

He just shrugged and twirled her out before bringing her back to him.
"It's fine. I thought Mrs. Lovett was down here when I heard the music. . . but when I came down I saw a rather pitiful sight."
She raised her brow in confusion as they continued to dance as if they were the only two people in the whole world. "What do you mean? What did you see?"
He gently dipped her a little bit before answering, "You dancing alone. If you are to dance, you could have at least asked someone to dance with you."

Catherine scoffed, "Well, Mr. Todd, what if I told you I wanted to dance alone because I wanted to forget about the world for just one night?"

He nodded and said, "I understand that. But if you want to dance, you must learn how to do it properly. Your footing is just terrible."

She pulled away from him and asked, "And you think you can dance better than me?" She huffed.
Sweeney smirked slightly, "I don't think luv. I know. If it's dancing you want to perfect, then you need a good teacher."
Catherine sighed, "I suppose. But who would ever have the time to-! " She was cut off midsentence by Sweeney Todd himself, gently but swiftly grasping her waist with one hand and her hand with the other.
She gasped in surprise at the sudden closeness.
He looked deeply into her eyes, "I would. All you had to do was ask," he whispered softly to her.

Neither spoke for the rest of that time. Just sway, spin, glide, and waltz across the room while staring into each other's eyes with uncertainty of what each person was feeling.
All they knew was that they wouldn't have spent that evening in any other way with anyone else. . . .