Chapter 12: The Picnic, part 2

My eyes widen. This boy is starting to become too smart for his own good. I needed to keep his mind off Mr. Todd otherwise we'd all be dead.

"Oh Toby, some customers just tend to look the same after awhile and leave faster than others. Depending on what kind of service Mr. Todd offers also depends on how long they're up there for.

Besides, Mr. Todd is a very professional man and wouldn't ever do such a thing."

The longer I lie to this poor boy, the longer my mind will start to believe it.

"Besides, we shouldn't always judge a book by its cover. There are a lot of things that we don't know about Mr. Todd. For all we know, he could've been either a husband or a father once." Thinking about it now, I've come to realize that I don't know that much about Mr. Todd.

The only clue that I could find about Mr. Todd's past was the picture of the woman and the baby on his dresser.

Toby nodded slowly, "I guess. Can I ask ya something?"

I nodded as I listened to his question that really took me by surprise.

"Are you in love with Mr. Todd like mum is?" He asked.

If my eyes grew any wider at that moment, they'd be bigger than my Gran's family sized peach cobbler pie.

Why on earth would I be in love with him? He's practically got me on a death threat of a contract that says if I say anything that happens here, then I'm as good as dead!

Not to mention that he has threatened my life more than once.

Who would ever want to fall for a demon like that?

"Uh, Cat? You alright?" Toby asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I smiled, "Yes, I'm fine hun. And to answer your question, no, I am not in love with Mr. Todd nor do I intend to be for a very long time. How about we go sit with Mrs. Lovett?"

He nodded and stood up and helped me up. I grabbed my things and we walked over to the spot with Mr. Todd, still in the same position as last I saw him in.

Toby sat on the right side of Mrs. Lovett while I sat between Mr. Todd and Mrs. Lovett.

We sat there in silence until Mrs. Lovett pulled out a roughly wrapped package from the bottom of the basket and handed it to me.
"Happy Birthday dear! I do hope you like it." She smiled brightly.

I smiled back, "How were you able to get me something last minute?"

She chuckled lightly, "Just open it and I'll tell you. Go on! Open it!" She said excitedly.

I laughed a bit before ripping the package open. Within the wrapping was a beautiful white dress with an elegant light green and light pink floral design on the skirt and bodice. It also had draped light pink sleeves, gold trim, and a pink over-corset to go with it.
I held it up in awe. I used to wear beautiful gowns but none of them were as beautiful as this. I have always wanted to wear something that was a bit more colorful and vibrant.
"That 'ole thing used to be my gown back when I was a wee slip of a thing and married to me dear Albert. I had it mended and fixed in case I'd use it again. But I forgot about it in me trunk for the longest time.
Luckily the moths didn't get to it. I thought you might like this and figured it would fit ya better than me." Mrs. Lovett explained.

"Oh, thank you Mrs. Lovett! Thank you! It's so beautiful!" I hugged her happily.
She giggled and hugged me back, "But of course luv. And please, just call me Nellie from now on. Calling me Mrs. Lovett all the time must be exhausting for you."
I laughed and nodded in response. Toby and I helped her clean up and pack up our picnic and whatever was left.
The only thing Mr. Todd helped with was helping me fold the blanket. He held it the rest of the way while Toby held his kite, I held my new dress, and Mrs- I mean Nellie held the basket.

When night fell, I was already ready for bed but before I could lay my head down I heard a knock on my door.
I sighed thinking that it was Mr. Todd. To my surprise, there was no one there when I opened the door. Only a letter with a beautiful gold heart-shaped locket remained.
I picked up the letter and the necklace. The necklace had a stunning design on it of a lily and a rose on the back was an inscription that struck me dumb:
"To the rare beauty herself, angelic Catherine.
Happy Birthday.
Yours truly, S.T"

S.T? Who is that I wonder and how could this person have known that today was my birthday? I began reading the letter which turned out to be a beautifully written poem.

"There is not a moment with you that is dull and lifeless,
For you, my dearest, fill my life with so much of happiness.
Happy Birthday to you, my love, who is brighter than the sun,
I promise to love you forever, way more than anyone.

When I am cold, you bring me warmth.
When I am alone, you are there to fill my life with mirth.
When I was in the dark, you became my light.
When my world was dull and grey, your smile filled my soul with color every single day.

I do not know how to express myself properly. But just know that through this letter, I mean every single word even if I were to say something different.
When I met you, I knew in that instant that you were and still are special to me. I never understood why until now.
I look forward to your constant visits and company.

- Sincerely, Mr. S.T"

I gawked at the letter as I read and reread it at least five times before setting it down on my desk.
Could it be that someone on Fleet Street is actually in love with me? As it said, I had met them before, but who could it be?
I guess I'll have to ask around to see who wrote it tomorrow.