Chapter 4: The Nightmares

April 16, 1880

Ever since I first saw the eyes of that terrifying man, I've been having nightmares for a week now. But in my nightmares, I've only seen two things.

His vengeful glare and a hand holding something. It was shiny and looked like it was made of silver.

But it dripped something that every person is all too familiar with, blood. The blood never looked dry, it always looked fresh like it had just barely completed its kill.

It scared me witless, those soulless, merciless, cold, dark, empty eyes.

If one was to place a candle by his face, the light would reflect off his eyes giving it a furious firey burning look that could only pull one into the underworld from which one could never return.

That's why he scares me and that is why I decided to keep my distance from that demon. . . .

What didn't help my situation was the fact that I overheard Mr. Todd and Mrs. Lovett talking about cannibalism while I was doing my mending in the parlour nearby the kitchen. This happened on the same day that I had witnessed Mr. Todd killing Signor Pirelli or whoever he was.

Apparently, Mr. Todd was going to be killing his own costumers just so that Mrs. Lovett could bake them into her meat pies and serve them to her costumers.

Can't this week get any more eerie than it already is?

The sooner I get enough money from working here, the faster I can leave London and finally move to New York to get a better job there and hopefully a better life.

I am able to tell this story by writing it all down in my new journal I received from my grandparents last year as a Christmas gift.

Whenever I left the shop to buy more herbs or flour for Mrs. Lovett, the air had a pungent aroma that only I could identify.

It sickened me to my core just seeing so many clueless customers consume more than their fair share of Mrs. Lovett's freshly baked meat pies.

That night, after the grand-reopening of the pie shop, and the dinner rush had died down (no pun intended), Mr. Todd and Mrs. Lovett both closed up shop for the night.

Mrs. Lovett wanted me to give Mr. Todd his dinner which consisted of chicken soup with freshly baked bread and a mug of some ale.

Again, I was reluctant, but as I am desperate for money and leaving this forsken place, I nodded and took the tray. I made my way up the stairs.

I opened the door with one hand while carefully holding the tray with the other. As usual, Mr. Todd was busy staring out the window while sharpening his weapon.

I silently gulped before clearing my throat to make my presence more apparent to him. He spoke, "May I help you Miss Dean?" I shivered at him just saying my last name.
Oh how he terrified me so. "I-, uh, brought your dinner sir. . ." I answered softly.

I quickly placed the tray on top of the enclosed chest before I looked down and made a bee-line for the door but something stopped me.

Someone was holding my shoulder a bit roughly yet gently at the same time which felt odd at the time.

I froze in terror not daring to look at the demon himself or move in fear of being killed by his hand.

"Where are you going in such a rush?" He asked coldly.

I trembled as I tried not to cry out of fright. "D-Downstairs to my r-room sir. . ."

He sighed before moving himself in front of me. "What did you see? What did you hear?" He didn't seem angry with me just a bit impatient for whatever reason.

"Sir, I swear! I saw nothing! I heard nothing! Just please let me go!" I panicked. I don't know if he could tell that I was scared or not but after I said that, he did in fact let me go.

I took that chance and bolted out the door like a shot in the night and ran to my room panicking, pacing, then finally crying out of pure fright.

I wish my parents had never sent me here. I miss my brother and sisters and my grandparents.
I cried myself to sleep after a great many hours of crying.