Chapter 8: Trouble at the market

April 21, 1880

Today, Mrs. Lovett needed me to go to the market to buy some better baking utensils, vegetables, a nice plump goose, and a bottle of ginger beer so she could make a delicious dinner for tonight.

She wanted to celebrate the success of her pie shop getting back into business. I honestly wish she would use different kinds of meat that wasn't, well, human. . . . the smell from the bakehouse, whenever she comes up with a fresh tray, I can smell it every time I'm in my room. It reeks of death itself.

But I don't want her to know that I know. It's already bad enough that Mr. Todd knows. Speaking of Mr. Todd, when he saved me last night from the trap door, I didn't have any dreams at all.

I actually slept really well once. No nightmares, no dreams, nothing. Nothing but pure bliss by candlelight.

It was very strange because when I first met Mr. Todd, I had nothing but nightmares about him. But when he helped me, it was like my fears and nightmares disappeared.

I am hoping to stay optimistic about it for as long as possible.

Anyway, the market,

everything was going fine. I bought the things Mrs. Lovett needed, except for a few toffees that I bought for Toby. Granted, I did get a couple weird looks from other people including the grocer, but it's nothing that I haven't dealt with before.

I have learned not to let others get to me when it comes to my eyes. But today was different. . .

As I was on my way back to the pie shop, these four fancy dressed women came up to me and blocked my path.

"Uh, excuse me. I need to get through. Could you please move?" I asked politely.

The first one that was dressed in a bright lime green spoke, "So it is true. There really is a plain little thing with strange eyes." The other three just laughed with her in a haughty fashion while fanning themselves.

I rolled my eyes and walked around them, or at least tried to.

One of them looped her arm around mine and another one as well. I was being led away from the direction I was heading.

"So, what's an American like yourself, doing in a society such as this?" A woman in a dark green dress asked.

I gently unhooked myself from them. "I don't think that's any of your business." I replied.

They gasped. An older one with an Emerald green dress stepped up to me, "Now you listen here, you disgusting filthy beast!" She shoved me down into a muddy puddle that was behind me.

I lost most of the vegetables that found a home in the filthy puddle.

It was a miracle that the goose and ginger beer stayed in my basket as well as one head of lettuce, two carrots, and one toffee.

The woman kicked some more muddy water into my face. I gasped before looking up at them.

They just snickered at me, "See that puddle you're in? That's where freaks like you belong. You and your abnormally large nose."

"And nasty blemishes!" Another piped in.

"You should know your place. You don't deserve to be a part of society. You belong with the flies and the pigs!" Said the first one that talked to me.

Then they laughed at me and left me to my own devices. I sighed and looked down at my reflection in the puddle I was sitting in.

I could see it. Every single imperfection that they pointed out, I could see them all. My face was filthy and my once clean and well-kept hair was now as dirty and muddy as my face.

I picked up my basket and slowly got up as I began speed walking my way back to the shop.

I can't wait to leave this terrible city. I hate it here! I absolutely loathe it!

I had accidently run into several people on my way. Also earned a lot of laughs out of this.

When I finally got back to the pie shop, I couldn't stop the tears that started to fall. I roughly placed the basket on top of the flour-covered counter. I ran straight to my room before Mrs. Lovett or Toby could even utter a single word to me.

I locked the door behind me and cried. I cried in a way that I hadn't done in years, not since my grandfather's death.

I sobbed for what felt like hours until I heard a soft gentle knock on my door. I harshly wiped away my tears before shakliy standing up and unlocking the door.

There outside my door was a concerned Mrs. Lovett with a tray of food, "Hello dear. Are you doing alright? What happened at the market today?"

I sniffled a few times before answering, "I-I don't really want to talk about it right now. . ."

She nodded slowly before handing me the tray, "Well, if you ever want to talk about it, ya know where to find me luv. Also, with all those tears, I figured you could use something to eat.

So, I whipped up a little something for you."

I smiled sadly at her, "Thank you very much Mrs. Lovett. But what about Mr. Todd?"

She waved it off, "Ah, don't worry 'bout him too much. I already got him dinner. He's covered for the night."

I nodded and looked down at the plate, barely catching a glimpse of my reflection.

She must have noticed my silence because she spoke again. "If you ever need anything, and I do mean anything, let me know, alright dear?" She said as she placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, "I will. Thanks again Mrs. Lovett. . . ." she sighed before turning and leaving for the parlor.

I ate my dinner alone tonight. But I don't care. No one wants to see or be seen with a plain Jane such as me. . .