Chapter 1: London

March 30, 1880

Oh, London. . . I hate it here.
I didn't want to study here of all places.

I wanted to do my insect research in Switzerland where the air was clean and fresh and everyone was pleasant.
Much to my parents' dismay.

They wanted me to study reading and writing at a very prestigious finishing school here in London.
Where I have lived for the past 18 years.

The streets were filthy, rats and mice were everywhere, and pickpockets were always around some corner.
Words can't describe how badly I wanted to leave this place. But I didn't have any money on me.

My search for a job began when I graduated from finishing school. But every place that I applied to was either filled and had no more positions or had men that only wanted me for one thing. . . . and I refused those disgusting demands.

I did find a kind old florist who paid me to simply sell his beautiful bouquets. But that job only lasted for three years until the poor man was forced to close his shop and move to the country.

And so with the money I earned, I was able to buy some new clothes but that was it.

I continued my search until I found a sign in the window saying 'HELP WANTED' in all capitals.
I looked up and saw the building "Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies."

I think I may have found a new job.