Chapter 10: The Judge

Today is April 22nd.

So far, I have worked for Mrs. Lovett since the 30th of March. I've worked here for nearly half a month or so.

I've lost track of time at this point.

Things are the same as always but something's off.

Mr. Todd hasn't talked to me since our last encounter. If anything, I think he's been avoiding him. Not that I blame him, but that kiss came out of nowhere!

Thank goodness it's only Sunday, meaning both shops are closed. As far as I'm concerned, it's to avoid raising suspicion.

Toby is a very smart boy, so I worry that it's only a matter of time before he finds out and tells the law.

I needed to get out and clear my head about these strange matters here on Fleet Street. It's not like I was needed at the moment.

Mr. Todd is still pacing his room back and forth, Mrs. Lovett is reading a book in the parlor (it looks like a romance novel), and Toby is once again passed out drunk on the sofa.

Poor boy. That is not healthy for him. There's a reason why only adults consume large amounts of alcohol.

I wrapped myself in a light blue shawl knit by my grandmother for my birthday. And put my hair up in a bun as I went out for a walk. It looked like it was about to rain.

I had walked a good enough distance away from the pie shop when I was so lost in my thoughts that I accidently bumped into a slightly short and portly man dressed in fancy clothes. He had the greasiest hair I have ever seen.

"Oi! Watch it you wench!" He yelled as he turned around and faced me.

"I am so sorry sir! I didn't mean any harm!" I curtsed out of politeness.

He raised his cane over his head as if he were about to strike me but a hand stopped him. The hand of a finely dressed older gentleman with graying hair that was two feet taller than the man opposite him.

He spoke with an air of self-righteousness and justification, "Now, now Beadle. That isn't anyway to treat this lovely young woman. Let us not act so hastily."

"But My Lord!" The Beadle tried to object but the gentleman raised his hand to stop his friend from talking which seemed to work.

"A thousand apologies my dear. Please forgive my friend, Beadle Bamford for his foolish behavior." He bowed humbly.

I nodded, "Its quite alright good sir. The fault was mine. I was lost in thought and didn't see where I was walking. May I ask for your name sir?"

Beadle scoffed, "Madam! You are speaking to his Lordship, the great and honorable Judge Turpin!"

I gasped. Of all the days to offend a power of authority, it had to be today. I bowed deeply, "Your honor! I am very, very sorry! I didn't mean to offend you in any shape or form!" I rambled.

He laughed amusedly, "I admire a woman with humility as her guide."

I straightened up and smiled in return. Why do I feel an unsettling aura around this man? Why do I feel so uncomfortable around him and the Beadle?

"Well, I don't wish to take up any more of your time gentlemen. I should be on my way. It's about to rain and I don't have an umbrella with me." I said glancing at the clouds every so often.

"So it is. Before we part ways madam, pray, what is your name?" asked Turpin.

"It's Catherine, good sir. Catherine Dean."

"A lovely name for a lovely American. Your accent is quite unique. Do you have any plans for the month of May?" He asked holding out what I would assume was an invitation.

I took it and looked at the symbol on the envelope. It looked like a greedy snake grinning while crushing a thornless rose.

I shook my head in response to his question.

He smiled in a way that somehow felt unnerving to me, "I am holding a masquerade ball on the 18th of May. It is to celebrate my engagement to a special woman in my life."

"Congratulations sir, I wish you both a long and happy life." I replied in the kindest way possible. I wanted this conversation to be done and over with.

He kissed my hand, "I know this is sudden and we have just met, but I'd like you to be my personal guest."

"I will think about it. Good day to both of you gents!" I quickly took my hand out of his grasp and rushed back to the pie shop.

I sat down in one of the booths inside to catch my breath.

"So, 'ow was your walk dear? Ya look a bit flushed." Mrs. Lovett had come to sit across from me at the table.

"It was an uncomfortable exchange that I had with these two gentlemen." I said shivering a bit as I remembered how they both looked at me.

"Do tell, I'll get ya some water while you tell me, alright?" Mrs. Lovett got up and got me a glass of water while she got herself a glass of gin.

"Well. . ." I told her who I talked to and showed her the invitation, but when I mentioned it was from a Judge Turpin and Beadle Bamford, her eyes widened in shock.

"My heavens! You alright? They didn't hurt you, did they?" She asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. Not hurt at all. But what does that have to do with those two men?" I asked curiously.

"Let's just say that it's best to be careful around them and to always have someone with you. They ain't exactly the trustworthy type." She warned.

"But it's a masquerade ball and I'll be surrounded by hundreds of people so I should be fine."

Mrs. Lovett sighed, "I suppose. Still, be careful. And whatever ya do, don't show this invitation to Mr. T or tell him who ya talked to. Promise?"

I snorted slightly, "No worries there. It's not like me and him are on talking terms anyway." I took a big gulp of my water.

Maybe I should ask Mrs. Lovett about why I shouldn't specifically tell Mr. Todd about who I saw tomorrow.

I have a feeling that both the baker and barber are keeping things a secret from me and most likely Toby.