Chapter 20- Centuripe

*Msg from Author*
I've been planning on creating a facebook page soon and if you'd like to follow me there and find out what's going on for the Ww2 series you're more then welcomed
**

The following few days leading up to Centuripe was a vicious and bloody fight with a series of defeat after defeat for the German and Italians. Once the Italian forces were driven back from the outer towns and cities near the beaches. The German veterans and elites have set up and are dug in, to hold the central towns of Sicily.

To the last drop of blood, Centuripe will be held at all costs, retreat is not a option.

The 3rd SS Panzer division TotenKopf, has been sent down to Italy by order of the Führer as a last ditch effort to hold central Italy. Along with the 3rd SS Panzergrenadier division acting for infantry support and the vanguard of the central defense.

Most of the their Panzers are Panzerjäger with the exception of the new Jägdpanzer IV built a few months back in December and were first given to the Waffen SS to tryout.

Karl who's watching his men at work fortifying the town can hear the approach of a marching column behind him. Turning about to take a look, his eyes narrow on the 150 man strong Company that's marching towards them with 20 tanks in the back. Mostly the new Jädpanzers with a few Panzerjägers and two Tiger I's.

'Elite reinforcements, and they'll mix well with my shock troops, mein Führer... You know how to treat your General staff well.' Karl says with a smug smile to his face as he stands at eased watching them come nearer.

A roaring and demanding like voice thunders out from the front of the column "Kompany!!! HALT!!!!."

Quickly all movement within the column comes to a quick stop and the tankers stop their metal beasts as well staying within formation. The Commanding officer, a senior ranking Major soon to become a Lieutenant Colonel steps forward. Walking the 16 yards to Karl the Major salutes and extends his hand out.

Karl with a dastardly smile extends his arm out and he shakes the offered hand then he returns the salute, going back to at eased.

"Major Peter Karus of the SS vanguard, Totenkopf Company" Peter says says his icy blue eyes staring intensely with a hint of insanity within the gaze to his acting Commander.

There's craziness to the mans eyes and Karl likes it, a good soldier too with a wound badge and a Iron cross on him.

"Oberst Kriesser von 15th Grenadier, 22nd Panzerkruppe, wilkommen zu Centuripe Major.'' Karl says at eased with his feet neatly set.

"Danke herr, now how can I help?" Peter says smiling under his emotionless face that he has now put on.

"Ironically speaking Major, the British are coming and our orders for this town is to hold it at all costs, even if it means my death. Or if our Commanders feel merciful, send out a retreat order then hell, we're going to die here. What I wish for you to do is get your men positioned accordingly with mine and the steepness that this town presents would be a good place to put your tankers." Karl says chuckling as he hands Peter a folded up map of the town and Karls trooper positions.

Taking the map and unfolding it, he quickly scans over it then nods folding it back up, he salutes again. Then with a perfect about face he turns on his heel and heads back to the Company.

"Achtung Menschen!" he yells with his commanding voice and all eyes within the column turn to face him. With that being taken care of Karl sighs a little and turns back to watch the defensive fortifications and looking out through his glasses, he can see dots out in the fields below.

**

German field hospital

Up near Rome a field hospital for the last of the men that have been shipped out from Africa before Operation Husky, has been established and. With those strong enough and healthy enough have been picked out and selected to return back to battle with their units.