17: I always knew it was you

Once all the living death eaters were taken into custody and the dead ones were logged we all waited in line to get healed by available healers that Dumbledore pulled. He says it was the reason he was late to battle but I had no idea when he arrived or why he didn't help me defeat Voldemort, which I didn't even accomplish on my own.

Lily mentioned an order meeting will be called in a few days per Dumbledore's orders but I could give a rat's ass about him right now. We apparate to Potter Manor and floo back to my place and I couldn't help but think of what Tom said. How he was finally free and something about a Phoenix. I also thought about his eyes and how they flickered before we dueled and how they changed from red to brown before he died.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and saw that I was standing in the middle of the living room. "Yes, sorry. I was just thinking of what Tom said." Remus, James, and Regulus looked at me curiously. I motioned for them to take a seat and pulled out my cracked phone. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was since it had a case and screen protector.

Ignoring the broken protector I open the voice memo app and hit play on the only recording. They were silent when it finished, in their thoughts. "He kept making a D noise and was stuttering before he mentioned a Phoenix." James starts. "That and he said he was free," Remus adds. Regulus stays quiet so I continue, "his hand glowed gold as he did so, so whoever was in control made him take a vow." Regulus sighs, "He was dying. Why didn't he just say the name?"

The four of us ponder this for a while. "What if it was a modified vow? He couldn't say anything even if he was dying." We looked at Sirius with wide eyes. "How'd you guess that?" Lily asked, coming into the room with tea. "Makes sense. Whoever made Voldemort take an unbreakable vow wanted to ensure he was protected even if Voldemort died. He doesn't want to be found out."

"That makes sense."

"Wait," Regulus jumps up, "He said something else before mentioning the phoenix. He said hor, maybe he was saying the one who did this has a Phoenix that is also their Horcrux." Sirius groans, "bloody hell, another Horcrux? We just got rid of five! If what you say is true then it would be impossible to get rid of!" I place my hand on his shoulder and he leans into my touch.

Lily takes a sip of her tea while she thinks. "It's possible that's what he was trying to say. It makes sense."

My eyebrows shoot up and I stand. "Wait. If he was saying that the one who did this to him has a phoenix for their Horcrux.....how many people own a Phoenix?"

"Dumbledore and the Moutohora Macaws." James and Sirius both answer. Regulus rolls his eyes. "Right. So, based on this, who is more likely to want to control Tom Riddle? Dumbledore or a quidditch team?"

"I did see that Riddle went to Hogwarts in the forties because he had a trophy in the trophy case," Lily says I nod in agreement and we each look at each other worried. "Why would he imperio Riddle?" I looked at James with a shrug, "I have no idea, but I may be in more danger than before. Sam said they were under orders of a dark wizard that refused to show their face or give their name, and when I first arrived I got a letter threatening to kill me if I didn't deliver the books. Dumbledore most likely knows they were fake books I delivered and is just waiting for me to leave my home now that Voldemort is gone."

Sirius takes me into his arms, "We don't know that for sure. All we have is speculation." I shake my head, "I don't care if the information we have is right or wrong, I may still be in danger. With the information we have, I'm going to go as if Dumbledore is the real dark wizard we should have been fighting. Not Tom. If you all want to help, I'm going to be researching how to kill a Phoenix." I go to walk away but Sirius holds me tight.