7: Prep and Action

Authors Notes:

TW: this chapter briefly includes talk of encouraging suicide. If this makes you uncomfortable skip the paragraph when you see this key

$&*•

The key will appear again when it's over

———————————————————————

We ended up watching three movies before it got late and they all had to head home. Sirius was still heartbroken that his brother didn't mention him and his friend betrayed them all. I summarized the rest of the books in order and they were all heartbroken and mad about Dumbledore's death and the events that took place.

For the rest of June and half of July I was in my Library brewing all kinds of potions in preparation for my first trip. I made sure to drop a fake copy of the books to Borgin and Burkes on the requested date, dropping them off for Alore The Crazed so whoever it was wouldn't try to find me. I packed nutrition bars and water bottles as well as an extra pair of clothes. I also worked on my occlumency. Remus agreed to come with me to Little Hangleton for this hunt and I made sure he was prepared. Sirius and James wanted to come as well, but Moody wouldn't give them the day off. When Remus arrived at my house he looked ready to faint from the nerves so I had him a vial of pepper up. He downs it and we floo to the leaky cauldron then apparate to terminal five and ride the Piccadilly line to end.

I did research when I was still back home since I wanted to know every location mentioned in the series. Turns out Little Hangleton was near Hull. The ache of missing my family had gone down, but I still wish I was with them. When we finally arrived at the town it was nearing noon, so we stopped at the local diner. Little Hangleton really was a dreary and depressing little town. It dampened everyone's mood.

When the waitress brought our 'food' Remus had actually gagged and left the building. I pay our tab and rush out to find him dry heaving since his breakfast was already splattered on the ground. I pull a water and a few nutrient bars out of my backpack and hand it to him. "Whatever that was, wasn't food. I've never thrown up at just smelling something, and I've been a Marauder for over seven years now." I pat his back and we sit outside, just listening to the gossip about the shack and munching on our bars.

"Ready to look for the shack Rem?" He wipes his hands and stands, pulling me up as well. "Let's look for this creepy thing." We walk around the rundown town until we reach a dirt path that leads into the woods. "Betcha it's in there." I point out looking very reluctant to continue. Remus looked the same but we ventured into the forest.

When we were near I could feel the wards placed around the shack still holding strong. It took a few minutes to disable it but I felt like I could keep moving. Remus disables the one on the door and he finishes in the same amount of time it took me. He pushes the door open and a heavy wall of dark magic falls onto us. I was having a difficult time breathing and Remus looked somewhat okay. It was my first time feeling anything so dark and off putting.

"It's in a cursed box under the floor. Open the box and levitate the ring out but don't touch it. You heard what happened to Dumbledore." Remus gulped nervously but managed to spot the loose board and pry it open. He stepped away and levitated out of its hole and opened the lid without touching it.

$&*•

Finally able to catch my breath I look up and see Remus in a trance with tears in his eyes as it speaks to him. "Worthless. Who would truly be friends with a monster like you. You should just kill yourself, rid them of the burden that's you." His concentration flickers and the box lowers.