Chapter 13 - Allegations

I was waiting.

Waiting for the perfect time to ask Caleb and Ace about this lawyer that just randomly showed up in our house.

It was like a golden hour with my brother and his best friend. If you struck at the wrong time you were done for. If you got it just in that sweet spot you could get whatever you wanted.

Or I guess I could get whatever I wanted.

Caleb always told me – or more like complained – that I should consider myself special Ace actually ever lets me negotiate with him on things. Cal says Ace never listens to anyone else's side or gives them what they want without getting something in return ever.

But right now was the moment, I couldn't keep this topic away for much longer and I knew that. I had to ask now.

"So..." I started, drawing out my words and causing Ace and Caleb to look at me. "Are you guys going to tell me what that lawyer was doing in our house or no?" I questioned.

I had to be very sure right now that I was using the right language. I couldn't risk making Ace or Caleb mad or they wouldn't tell me what I wanted to know.

Caleb set down his fork and knife, running a hand through his hair. Ace sighed.

"What's there to tell?" Caleb sighed as well.

Was he being serious?

"Everything!" I responded, my voice raising a tiny bit. But the second that happened I remembered that I couldn't get mad or raise my voice, I had to be calm, cool, and collected. I had to beat them at their own game. "I want to know why there was a child custody lawyer in my house. What–"

"How do you know what type of lawyer he is?" Caleb cut me off, very sharply.

"H-he told m-me!" I said, confused why they think I don't know what they guy – Stephens – job was that was in my house.

"Of course he fucking did," Caleb scoffed, his voice getting gruff nad his eyes going considerably darker.

I heard my brother grumble something under his breath making me turn and look at him. Ace must have sensed my gaze because he turned towards me, holding my gaze with his emotionless expression.

In this situation, it was clear to me that Caleb wasn't going to give me any information so I thought it was best to throw my efforts towards my brother instead. I wasn't sure if he would tell me more than Caleb but I had to hope.

"Ace?" I questioned, my voice small and scared. "W-why was he here? Are ... a-are you going, going to l-lose custody of me?"

It was safe to say I was super scared.

I was scared that my brother would lose custody of me. I was scared I would never see Ace or Caleb ever again. I was scared to go into foster care. I was scared of who would take custody if my brother lost it. I was scared I was going to get sent back to my father. I was scared of my father.

I felt my eyes get watery, the water threatening to spill over and onto my cheeks but I sucked in a breath to keep them at bay.

A strong emotion registered in my brother's eyes causing him to reach out and pull me into his side as a comfort. Ace kissed the top of my head:

"No, never. Never, Jodee. I promise you," My big brother reassured me.

I nodded my head, burning myself farther into his side as my emotions really started to flow through me.

Before this I was completely focused on getting answers about the lawyer that was in my house, but now that I thought of it there was only one reason a frickin' child custody lawyer would be talking to my brother and know who I was. And that reason was not an idea I wanted to entertain. Not in the least.

That idea was that Ace was going to get my custody taken away from him and it was likely, then, that I would be returned to my father. Which I never wanted to happen. I didn't even want to see him ever again. I would be extremely happy if I never had to see my father again for the rest of my life. Right now that was actually working out for me. Well, my brother made sure my father never got close to us again. I don't even know if he knows where we live but I hope not.

"Okay," I muttered, miserably. "But then what was he doing here?"

I didn't get a response.

Instead of responding my brother and his best friend had this moment when they seemed to be having a silent conversation only with their eyes. Caleb had reluctance and dread written over his face. Ace's face was harder to read but it looked like anger and helplessness were the feelings he was experiencing right now.

Caleb sighed, causing me to turn towards him and detangle myself a little bit from my older brother.

"Okay, Jodee, you want to know." Caleb started, slowly. "The lawyer's name is Richard Stephens. He is Ace's lawyer ... well technically yours too." Caleb took a moment, pausing, as if he was thinking about something. "Stephens is a child custody lawyer. And yes he helps us ... well, he helps your brother maintain custody of you."

"Wait..."

"No." Caleb cut me off, sharply. "That does not mean we – he is having trouble maintaining custody of you." My brother's best friend gulped, talking a few breaths before continuing. "We didn't want to tell you this before because we thought it would scare you, unnecessarily. But Stephens comes about twice a year just to meet with us – Ace," Caleb corrected himself, gritting his teeth. "Just so he can report back to social services about how things are going. Social service just does this because–" Caleb took a pause and scrunched his eyebrows, clearly unsure of what he was going to or should say next. "You have to understand, first it's unusual for a sibling to take custody of their younger and just young sibling in general at the age of 18. This is a cause for concern so that's why Stephens has to come every once in a while." He finished explaining.

A solid two minutes passed while Ace and Caleb waited for my reaction, but I was silent. In my head I was going over everything. Making sure that I was good and would stay in my brother's custody.

"O-okay," I finally said, my voice shaky. "S-so I shouldn't be worried? I'm gonna stay here with you guys. Right?"

"Right." Caleb confirmed. "And no you shouldn't be worried. There's nothing to be afraid of right now." He said, offering me a warm smile.

I nodded my head, turning to look at my big brother who just gave me a small side hug, kissing the top of my head gently before releasing me so I could continue to eat my food.

I guess I just read too far into the situation. But in the end I was glad that everything was okay.